Chapter 47: "Us Against the World"

Run away...

It's all what Hitomi wanted to do right now. To run, escape the chaos she caused.

"Why... can't she kill me," she whispered thinly, slamming the side of her fist to the ground as she silently broken down.

She has ran far from the others.

"I'm not evil." Her voice broke. She shook her head desperately convincing herself that. But it's no use. She is the devil, she herself believes so.

Hitomi didn't even realize her broken cries was heard by Nako behind her. She followed.

"You were never an evil, Hii-chan. Will never be." Nako approached her close.

"You don't understand."

"I've spent almost my whole life growing beside you. I've known you enough." Nako slowly reached in to pat her shoulder. "You, Hitomi, and the Hellfire are not the same—"

"Don't make me believe things!" Hitomi slapped Nako's hand away. Her tears were cries of anger and remorse. "You can't change what I am by saying that. It was me, the wicked demon every human despised. I am the Hellfire that... that killed thousands of lives." Her voice gradually lowered until it cracked. "I'm an evil murderer." She added.

Nako stared at her briefly with pity in her eyes. "You are evil only because you convinced yourself to be. Stop looking back to the past, Hii."

"But that past makes me what I am today! Is there any citizen left in the South? No, I killed them all! Hyewon, Eunbi, Yena and Yujin, they barely even survived!"

"No, it wasn't you who destroyed the South."

Falling furious, Hitomi stood and grasped onto Nako's shoulder so tight that her nails started to bury. "Why do you sound like you understand me?!"

Nako looked at her straight in her eyes blankly before answering, "Because I do."

"No you don't!"

"I do, Hii-chan. I know how you feel. And I know what happened."

Hitomi tightened her grip more. Blood started dripping from Nako's wounded shoulders. "You're only saying that to make me believe." Her eyes flashed pain as she glared. "What if I'll have to kill your family? Will you still be able to say that?"

Not to her expectations, Nako actually reacted nothing to it. Her face remained blank as she replied, "You don't have to."

"I'm right, aren't I? You'll start hating me if I do th—"

"There's no one in my family are left for you to kill."

Hitomi paused with eyes eventually growing wide.

"They're all dead, Hitomi. I have no more family."

Hitomi released her grip from the shorter, speechless.

Then Nako suddenly flashed a small smile. Her eyes weren't blank anymore. It's now showing emotions that she can't read. "You already killed them all."