Chapter 16

Vote, Comment, Fan PLEASE!! :)

"And how can this boy make you happy when he knows nothing of the world? How will he protect you when he has never faced reality? He has spent his life among books and paintings; let him stay there."

"Oh, no, dear brother. I never lie about anything important. Or do I mean unimportant? Anyway, your beauteous damsel nearly swooned into my arms. I think she likes men in black."

We walked outside and I squinted. The sun was almost directly over our heads, so it had to be about noon. Bonnie led the way throught the woods until we stopped in a little clearing with a miniature waterfall flowing into a crystal-clear brook.

Bonnie nodded her head towards the water, indicating that Damon should approach it. "Just concentrate on it. Imagine it floating, moving, all under your control." I stayed back by Bonnie, afraid that I would ruin Damon's focus if I neared him. A couple minutes passed and it became apparent that Damon had no more control over water than I did. He came back over by us and Bonnie shrugged. "I figured that with you still being part vampire, water wouldn't work out for you, but it was worth a shot. Now, let's try light while we still have it."

Bonnie walked Damon to a patch of light streaming through the trees and then backed off again. "Same idea, Salvatore." Again, nothing.

As Bonnie passed me, I could hear her muttering to herself. "Of course he can't control light." Damon came over to me and smirked. "Go figure, right, princess?" I rolled my eyes. He would call me princess right now. There was no denying it though. When I told him I loved him, I became his princess...of darkness.

"Not yet, Damon. I'm still human." He winked at me before turning to a burning branch that Bonnie had lit on fire for him. "Not forever, Elena."

My breath caught at the thought of spending all of forever with Damon as a vampire and it finally hit me. This was where I belonged and who I truly was. While Stefan was and always will be an important part of my life, Damon was my other half. Stefan loved me, but Damon needed me. And that's what I need.

Not someone to love and care for me, but someone to need me to function. Someone who simply can't go on without me by their side. And that someone was Damon.

I flinched as heat bombarded my face. I looked quickly over at Damon who was grinning at the flaming tree in front of him. Bonnie waved her hand and the fire immediately disappeared. "One down. Let's try earth now." Damon tried moving some rocks and dirt around, but shortly after beginning, we realized that it was a lost cause.

I looked up to the sky. We had spent the entire afternoon trying to discover the extent of Damon's control over the elements and now it was getting dark. The fading sun hid behind a stray cloud and I shivered, uneasy about being in the forest at night.

"The dark."

Damon's voice startled me; he was right by my side. "What about it, Damon?"

He raised his hand and tendrils of black started to form a tornado. "That's another one of my elements." I peeked over at his eyes; they were glowing green-the only thing visible now.

"And the weather."

Damon let the tornado fall as he used that hand to make a thick fog appear. I opened my mouth to say that we should go home now, but then a scream pierced my ears.

Whose scream was it??

Let me know what you think PLEASE!! :)