Chapter 9

Sooooo I posted this all ready, but I don't know what happened to it! It's gone! :(

VOTE.COMMENT.FAN.!!!! :)

"You know what they are? Children. Like lighting a candle's going to make everything OK, or even saying a prayer. Or pretending Elena's not going to end up just like the rest of us murdering vampires. Stupid, delusional, exasperating little children. And I know what you're going to say: 'It makes them feel better, Damon.' So what? For how long? A minute, a day? What difference does it make? Because in the end, when you lose somebody, every candle, every prayer is not going to make up for the fact that the only thing you have left is hole in your life where that somebody that you cared about used to be. And a rock with a birthday carved into it that I'm pretty sure is wrong. So thanks, friend. Thanks for leaving me here to babysit. Because I should be long gone by now. I didn't get the girl, remember? I'm just stuck here fighting my brother and taking care of the kids. You owe me big."

"I don't know what to do."

I stared at him for the briefest of seconds, wondering who Damon had become, but then his cocky smile appeared again. "Well, why don't we go straight to the source? Klaus." I immediately shook my head. "He'll be long gone by now because he has Stefan. He's not going to take his chances on sticking too close to us. No, we can't go for Klaus directly, but maybe we could find something out a little more indirectly." Damon sneered, knowing what I was implying. "Bonnie." I whipped out my phone, Bonnie had to have some sort of spell to figure out what had happened to Damon, but she didn't answer.

"Tomorrow we''ll go talk to her, but today is going to be just a day to relax." I nodded. "I like that idea, Damon." He pulled me close and I hid my face in his chest, breathing in his scent.

"Damon, do you think we can talk about finding Stefan?" I groaned as he began to pace, knowing that I shouldn't have asked like that. "Stay calm, Damon. We don't have to talk about it." He stared at me, his blue eyes wide and his pupils bottomless pits. "Stay calm? I don't think so, Elena. That's my brother that's gone it's because of me!" He resumed his pacing, but I tried to regain his attention. "Damon. Damon!" He turned to me again, his eyes alight with self-hatred and I stretched my hand out to him. "Damon, I didn't mean to make you angry. Please, just sit and tell me what's on your mind." He paused for a long moment and then reached for my hand. He walked back to where I was standing and reached over to touch my cheek, catching one of my tears and bringing it to his lips. "Let's face it. He's gone, Elena. Forever." I flinched. "No, Damon. He can't be!" Damon shrugged, giving off a false-image of coldness. "He's going to become Klaus's right-hand man. A ripper. Cold-blooded murderer. Me. Whatever term you fancy. Stefan won't be able to stay in control if he takes any human blood." I shook my head even though I knew in my heart that Damon was telling me the truth. "No."

Damon walked over to the windo and stared into the sunshine. "And Klaus will probably force him to turn his emotions off so that he can't wish that he was here with you." His voice tightened at the end of the sentence and I sent him my thoughts, knowing that was the only way he would listen. "You miss him too, Damon. We'll get him back after his time is up. We will." Damon threw his hands up in the air. "But, Elena, you don't understand. I don't know if we can get him back! If he shuts his emotions off-if he flips that switch-he won't want to come back!" He glowered at me. "We won't get him back if that happens, Elena. The Stefan you know, the Stefan I know, will be gone." I gasped. "Then we have to get him back now, Damon!" We can't just give up!" He froze and when he spoke, his voice was razor-sharp. "Why, Elena? Do you love him more than you love me?" My eyes widened. "No, Damon! I mean, yes, I love him, but I'm in love with you!" He glance away from me and there was a long moment of silence.

"I'm sorry, Elena. Of course we'll try to get him back." I smiled and wearily opened my arms; our argument had tired me out. "Thank you, Damon." He gave me one of his famous half-smiles and pulled me to his chest.

Suddenly, we were back on his bed. I lifted my face and looked into Damon's clear blue eyes. He kissed me softly at first and then with a building intensity. He laid me back and grabbed the hem of my shirt. "I love you, Elena."

I woke up to sunlight streaming into the window and bare skin under my cheek. I peered up at the dark angel next to me. The hard planes of his muscles were clearly defined and his dark hair was perfectly tousled. He looked down at me and smiled. "Goodmorning, princess." I grinned. "Goodmorning, Damon." We laid there for a little while longer and then I sighed. "We should get up. We have a lot to do today." Damon nodded. "Just one thing first, Elena." I cocked my head. "What, Damon?" He reached over to his leather jacket that had been thrown on the floor the night before and drew out a sleek dagger.

What is Damon going to do with that dagger??

"You want a love that consumes you. You want passion and adventure, and even a little danger... I want you to get everything you're looking for."

Let me know what you think!! :)