Chapter 2

My stomach turned inside out as I was looking down into the depths of the ocean while hearing the squeaking noises my sister made in the background. The last thing I saw was her light brown hair waving in the wind before she threw herself into the water.

The yacht my aunt invited us on was huge. Its' deck added up to 20 feet, enough space to run on it. Since we left harbor my mom and aunt were sunbathing in the middle of it as I watched them in disbelief.

If somebody was watching, they would think it was their birthday, not mine.

I sighed and turned my head back on the view of the endless ocean when all of a sudden I felt like throwing up again. Thank god, I didn't eat anything.

At least the sound of the water sloshing against the hull was there. Something to distract me from my anxious thoughts.

I should make the best of this, I thought breathing in the refreshing air.

Summer break was almost over and the new term was about to begin. The next three months were going to be quite intense and full of deadlines for my upcoming projects.

Not to mention the exams I should be preparing for right now. As I kept thinking about the future my mood slowly dropped and I realized that what I was doing was pointless.

I took a deep breath again.

I should really relax and enjoy this trip while I got the chance.

„River! Come over here!", my sister shouted and took me out of my thoughts. I turned around and gaped at what I saw.

„Dolphins?", I exclaimed and ran over to the front side of the yacht.

„What are you waiting for, jump in!", she called while trying to keep her head above the surface of the water. Those dolphins were playing with her swimming in circles.

„I am scared!", I squeaked torn between getting into the water and staying in safety of the yacht. As I was fighting against my own fears I heard my mom behind me yelling.

„River! Take your shirt off! "

What the hell...?, I thought and ignored that comment. „Is the water deep?", I asked frowning.

„Get in, sis.", Riley replied slightly annoyed with me. „It's not like you can't swim, is it?"

„It's not like you don't know about my fears!", I cried as I sat down on the edge. I knew there was nothing to be worried about and it looked so easy, but something inside me screamed to stay on the boat.

„Okay, ladies", my dad shouted to get everybodies attention. He was holding a big basket in his hands as he entered the deck. „We need provisions"

„What? I thought we had enough!", Riley said disappointed. „Didn't we buy food for another five days the other day?"

„Yeah, we did", my dad answered and put the basket on the wooden floor. „Look at this"

I crawled over and could already smell what was happening. „Oh, god", I murmured.

What I looked at had created its' own independent existence. The strawberries were covered in moss-green fur and the bell peppers had the same coat in white while the spring onions were dried and looked like wood. The entire basket of fruits and vegetables were mold-infested and the flies were already circling above it.

Curiously my mother jumped out of her sun bed firmly pressing her sun hat against her head, to take a look at it.

„I don't believe this. What are we going to do now, darling?", she said hopelessly, tucking away her dark brown hair.