Chapter 15

The philosophy of the wild is etched in the footprints of wolves, a timeless script.

The cold and gloomy corridors of the hospital had been our new whereabout for the past four hours now.

Kaven was leaning upon the bleak wall, pressing his fingers in his eye sockets while Anakin had fallen asleep on the padded bench, his feet dangling midair.

Nathan had come and picked up Keoni, so he wouldn't witness any of this and their dad Robert was outside anxiously walking in circles.

Nobody had said a word since we got here.

Everything happened so fast. Me calling the ambulance, waiting for them to come and meanwhile searching for grandmas cell phone, so I could call Kaven and inform him about what happened.

His face had burnt into my memory as he had walked up to me while I was waiting in front of the emergency room. It was horrible.

I glanced over to him. He was still shaking and his fingers were pressing his tears back.

He looked devastated. God knows what was holding him together.

And in that minute a huge hole formed inside my chest, my heart breaking. I felt so sorry for him and I wanted to console him.

I had completely forgotten about myself.

The burning soreness in my legs, the aching in my stomach.

Even my voice had left me and there was only a brittle dryness in my throat I tried to get rid of by swallowing constantly. I deeply sighed unconsciously.

„River," Kaven suddenly called and I perked up. „You must be tired. You and Anakin can return home, I'll stay here."

I furled my brows. „No, I am not leaving you alone with this burden," I insisted, my feet stepping toward him.

He hadn't spoken in hours and now that he did I felt some sort of tight, tense relief that didn't manifest properly. But then he shook his head, invisibly tentative and I walked over to him.

His expression softened slightly as he stood up. I could see he was exhausted. All of his moves had slowed down.

Closing the distance between us, he exhaled deeply before facing me. „Do you want to get some fresh air? Something to drink or eat?"

I shook my head. I felt like crying. I wanted to cry actually. The way he looked was so heartbreaking. He still thought about other people and it made my insides ache. I desperately wished I could pull all of the pain out of him but there was nothing I could do.

I felt so useless.

„Kaven, you guys can go home. I will stay here," Roberts voice interrupted the silence. He had brought the dry air with him as he walked toward us. „You guys must be really exhausted. I will call you if anything new happens."

„Okay," Kaven said. „I'll drive River home and return."

„No!," I contradicted immediately.

„All of you should go home. Look at Anakin," Robert glanced at him lying on the benches. „Poor guy fell asleep."

Kaven rubbed his face in frustration, as suddenly the doors to the emergency room opened.

„Are you the relatives of Nora Parks?"