Chapter 18

In the dance of fantasy, wisdom is the hidden path,

known only to those with wolf-like insight.

What a fricking idiot!

It was the next morning and I was laying in my bed for about twenty minutes now, watching the incident we had with Kaven in the car, in my minds eye. The skin where he touched me with his hand was still burning, which frustrated me even more.

What were you guys talking about?

I imitated his deep voice in my head.

About shit. We were talking about shit, Kaven.

I rolled over onto my stomach and let out a long sigh. The scratching noises from downstairs gave me the hint that they were tidying up the kitchen. I felt bad, so I got up and went downstairs to help them.

„Can I help you guys?," I asked the boys who were surprised to see me.

While Anakin just stared, Nathan cleared his throat. „No, it's okay, we're almost done," he replied, lifting the rest of the broken table.

I looked around.

The curtains were pulled apart almost touching the walls to the left and right of the window. Something empty filled the kitchen, that had more vibrant familiar life to it before the attack. Now it was just inanimate light from outside.

There were deep scratches on the tiles. Cracked. Trodden in.

With avoidant glances everybody returned to their tasks tidying up the place.

I let myself get distracted by the moist and cool air coming through the huge gaping hole.

Noticing the tiny little splinters and dust covering the ground, my neat freak side kicked in.

The floor might need a few swipes.

I took the broom leaning on the wall next to me and began sweeping when the back door clicked and Kaven came through. My heart skipped a beat as he entered the kitchen with his calm demeanor and slow but sure steps. Standing tall in the corner of my eye, I saw that he had his torso turned toward me probably watching me.

My god. Why the hell is my traitorous body reacting like this?

I had to keep doing what I was doing, I had to continue but he stalked, his presence growing more and more until he stood right next to me, his shadow swallowing me whole.

He held the stick, forcing me to stop.

My eyes wandered from his hand to his wide chest and stopped at his grey-green eyes, which were glancing down at me demandingly calm.

„What are you doing?," he asked, his voice vibrating.

„Cleaning." Why do I sound so confused?

Now everybody had stopped doing what they were busy with. Then I noticed Anakin's eyes watching us. A curiosity about what his brother had in mind.

Kaven exhaled quietly. „You don't have to do that. I'll clean, don't trouble yourself with this."

„I have nothing to do, so it's okay," I responded, pulling the broom to continue my work, but it was stuck in his firm grip. I darted my gaze up at him once again, this time hinting that I was slightly annoyed.