Chapter 10

Philosophy, like the moon, guides the pack of wolves through the shadows of the night.

It was already dark and the only light source was the pearly-white moon while we were driving on the road back in the middle of the pitch-black forest.

Kaven had turned on the radio to escape the silence we were sitting in and some pop song was playing. Will You Be There by Michael Jackson.

I was grateful for that, because I myself didn't have energy left for small talk.

My exhaustion pulled my eye lids downwards and I could feel the yawn coming. It was kind of hard to stay awake, especially with that quiet music playing, almost sounding like a lullaby.

From the corner of my eye I saw Kavens head turning towards me every now and then. He probably thought, I was already asleep.

„River?," he whispered and I almost didn't hear him.

„Yeah?"

„Are you asleep?"

„No."

„Oh," he chuckled. „I wanted to make sure, you weren't in a bad mood."

Confused I looked to the left to face him. „Why would you think that?"

He lifted his hand from the steering wheel just to hit it again. „I don't know. I hope Emily didn't bother you."

I hesitated for a moment.

That bitch was kind of annoying the entire evening, there was no doubt and I could not deny that. But I wasn't going to talk smack about his friends, so acting like I didn't care seemed to be the best reaction.

„No, she didn't. What are you talking about?," I replied, trying to drop the topic.

„I saw how she looked at you," he added, looking over to me, searching for eye contact, which I didn't reciprocate.

„Actually, I thought that she was staring at you the entire night." My eyes were glued on the trees quickly passing by. „She obviously likes you."

„Could be," he murmured. „But I don't care."

My brows lifted by that comment.

„Did you like them?," he continued. „I mean, the rest of the pack."

Immediately I remembered Ambers warm hands and aura. „Yes, especially Amber. She was really nice."

The only person I would want to have a friendship with, to be honest. Among the girls.

Kaven smiled sheepishly. „Would you want to meet them again?"

„Yeah, sure. But I don't know how long I am going to stay here, so-"

Mid sentence my head violently bumped against the window to my right, the car got off track and Kaven fought with both arms to gain back control. The engine roared, the brakes made the tires squeal and we were shaken up in this car by the bumpy ground and rocks that came along as we drove over the meadows and branches.

I panicked as the trees came into our field of vision, grabbing my seat and the door handle when a couple of seconds later - which felt like forever - Kaven managed to stop the car, both of us heavily breathing.

„River!," he exclaimed.

Hearing my name in this sudden silence sounded so strange.

And my head felt like a major migraine.