𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕿𝖜𝖔 : The Ask and The Answer

"𝘐𝘧 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘭 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘩𝘶𝘳𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶, 𝘺𝘰𝘶'𝘭𝘭 𝘣𝘭𝘦𝘦𝘥 𝘰𝘯 𝘱𝘦𝘰𝘱𝘭𝘦 𝘸𝘩𝘰 𝘥𝘪𝘥𝘯'𝘵 𝘤𝘶𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶

"𝘐𝘧 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘭 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘩𝘶𝘳𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶, 𝘺𝘰𝘶'𝘭𝘭 𝘣𝘭𝘦𝘦𝘥 𝘰𝘯 𝘱𝘦𝘰𝘱𝘭𝘦 𝘸𝘩𝘰 𝘥𝘪𝘥𝘯'𝘵 𝘤𝘶𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶."
- 𝘳𝘪𝘤.

      "Any luck?" Naoto asked from the end of the line

"None. These guys are tough to crack." You grumbled, as you halted from the red light of the intersection. This was the exhausting part of the job, the gathering of inquest which was Naoto's specialization, yet you agreed to do it instead, as an excuse to get out of the evidence room you've been cooped up in for days, scarfing boxes of files.

Having to interrogate or hunt down witnesses for the case would've been easier if the people that were questioned were cooperating enough, but none of them were stupid to rat out their superiors.

"Return to the office, y/n. You've done enough for the day-"

"I still have one last place to visit."

"I told you, they won't tell you anything. The criminals who do what they do to acquire daily bread for themselves and their kin don't sell out their superiors with our kind."

"Naoto, you know I won't stop until I get more infos on that lead and I know you won't either, just trust me on this." You defended, the coffee on your cup holder had grown cold and untouched. Maybe he's right, maybe you're forgetting who you were up against. This case was more than a 'this and that' type of decision, one mistake can jeopardize what you both worked for.

"So, what's your plan?" He sighed in defeat, knowing you, he knew arguing was something he could never overcome with you.

"I thought you were the genius one.." you heard him chuckle from the opposite line. "They're criminals, Naoto. It's in their nature to act up against anyone if they are offered an exchange of promising benefits." Living in a money nexus world, these were the top tier money hungry beings. You cannot expect loyalty from people who would do anything for money.