Chapter 17- Strange Schemes

The autumn leaves protested as they were trampled underfoot by the knights. Eula and Amber walked with purpose towards the waterfall while y/n walked slowly behind them, leaning on Aramis. The few townsfolk who walked around were hugging their clothes close to them to stave off the aggressive winds.

Y/n was replaying her first conversation with Jean now that she was back.

"So." Jean said. "You were ambushed."

"What? I mean, pardon, master Jean, I'm not sure what you mean."

Jean shuffled some papers on her desk.

"The mages that attacked you were not there even an hour before. We had knights on patrol and they can confirm that there was no one there during the patrol's passing."

"So you think they were there for me? Why would they want me? And how would they even know I would be there?"

"That we do not know yet but rest assured, we will uncover whatever this strange plot is. There is a possible leak, a spy somewhere that needs to be rooted out. Also, there is one more thing you should know."
Jean slid a scroll across the desk to y/n.
Y/n gingerly opened it and read:

You have been a meddler for far too long.
Your people managed to track some of us Darknight, but you have failed in the long run.

Three things we will take from you, Darknight.
Your city, you beloved, and your life.

Y/n snapped the scroll shut.
"City... do they mean Mondstadt?"

"We believe so." Jean nodded. "We also believe that it is no coincidence that this was delivered shortly after you were ambushed. I believe you are in contact with the Darknight Hero, weather you are aware or not. I am beginning a full operation to find out the identity of this vigilante. He may have kept us safe before, but his silence could cost us our lives now."
...

The door of y/n's parents' cottage flew open and her mother burst out

The door of y/n's parents' cottage flew open and her mother burst out. She grabbed y/n in a fierce hug and rocked back and forth.

"Y/n..." she sniffed. "I- I just heard what happened. We've been worried sick!" The frazzled woman cupped y/n's face in her hands and searched for signs of pain.