Chapter 24- Stinging Icicles, Fiery Words

It was morning and Diluc was at his makeshift desk marking up a map as well as making tiny notations in a battered notebook. Kaeya dawdled in the doorway of Diluc's tent, looking for an excuse to enter.

"So." He surveyed the sparse area and the still-made bed." I see you didn't get much sleep either."

"Apparently it's a trend." Diluc clipped.

Silence.

"So, brother, will you invite me to sit or will you order me to leave?"

Diluc looked up from the map he had been staring at. The circles below his eyes were dark and deep, and his cheeks were more hallow than normal, as if he hadn't been eating.

"Do as you like." He answered, but there was a hint of something in his tone that convinced Kaeya to sit down. The quill pen that Diluc was using to trace parts of the map made a soothing scratching sound against the parchment and it almost put Kaeya to sleep. Diluc finally seemed satisfied with what he was doing and set the pen down.

"So, what is it you needed to see me about? If you are concerned about the Harbinger, I have a confirmed sighting of him at an inn in Liyue. He will not be throwing a wrench in our plans this time."

Kaeya waved his hand dismissively.

"I was never worried about him. I doubt nineteen years of life experience could do him much good against us."

"Hmph. That is exactly the type of nonchalant thinking that used to get you in trouble. I would hope that you would be a bit more cautious at this point."

Kaeya's hackles raised.

"It seems that even after so many years you still insist on treating me like the younger brother, the one who doesn't know the world, who has to be taught."

"I treat you that way because it is true. You so often act without wisdom that it's a wonder those knights let you join in the first place. You have this knightly title and for what? To gain admiration? Adoring lovers? Fame and acclaim?"

Diluc made a disgusted sound and turned away. Kaeya stood and made Diluc look him in the eyes.

"It seems you have much to say to me. I come here for...for a civil conversation and this is what I get? Do you have any more scathing questions about my character, Master Diluc? Apparently all you see is my flaws, so let's unpack this baggage right here, right now. Perhaps you would like to know why I drink so enthusiastically or why I, as a young Knight have made it so far up the ranks so quickly?"

"I have nothing else to say to you, Kaeya." Diluc folded his arms over his chest, his eyes steely.

"You never do." Kaeya took a step closer. "You've had nothing to say to me since the day father died, you bastard. You forget that he was my father too. You are so unbelievably selfish it sickens me. The way you act like everything was my fault, everything! You treat me like a villain and a coward, even as you ran away to Archons only know where for three years! Unbelievable."

Diluc straightened. His jaw was set in a tight line and a tiny bit of spark was back in his eyes.

"You are a coward, Kaeya. You bent to the wills of the knights so easily you seem like a child. You played right into their hands and acted like a piece in their games for years on end." Diluc was yelling now. "You have no right to talk to be about running away. Your whole life has been a game where whoever played you has used you a perfect pawn. You are spineless. You think I'm selfish? Fine, but never forget..."

He paused. There was no taking words back and Diluc was realizing just how many words he had already said.

Kaeya let his hand rest on the hilt of his sword.

"Say it, brother. Spit. It. Out."

"You should have been there." Diluc said in a low tone. "When father died, you should have been by his side. But you didn't even have the guts for that."

Kaeya froze. He had expected that jab, but it still shook him to his core. He had been waiting for years, knowing that Diluc blamed him, knowing that, even if his brother never voiced it, he deeply resented him. Now, Diluc had finally said it.

Kaeya set his mouth in a thin line and balled up his fists to stop their shaking.

"Good, now we both know what you've been thinking all along. As delightful as this has been, I think it is high time I leave. In fact, I may go seek comfort from my darling y/n. Enjoy your lonely tent, Master Diluc."

With that, the Cavalry captain swept out of the tent. Diluc stood in stunned silence. He knew as soon as the words left his lips that they didn't ring true. He wished he could catch each offensive syllable and bury it deep inside himself.

He sat down on his cot with a groaning sigh. All the fight was gone from his body and a wave of debilitating exaustion washed over him.

Sleep. He thought. How wonderful that sounds.