Chapter 28

He had said it before, and he would say it again. He was probably going to be saying it years from now.

Brooklyn Barnes was going to be the death of him.

He followed behind her, pushing the shopping cart. She was dressed in this pretty little blue dress, that hit at her knees, flashing her bare calves to all and sundry, the low heels of her tan sandals making the definition of her legs more obvious. It was made all the worse, by the fact that he knew damn well what she was wearing underneath. Hell, the straps of her dress barely covered the straps of her bra. She was all but skipping through the store, the pig tails she had tied her hair up into bouncing behind her. She looked young, innocent, and oh so corruptible.

She'd been getting bold. That display in the bedroom, designed to distract him from the fucking fortune she had squirreled away, was proof of that. He liked that, her not being afraid of her own sexuality. It was hard to believe that it had been less then seventy two hours since he first made her cum. And now she was teasing him, demanding from him...

Yes, it was safe to say that Steve was a happy man.

He was happy to have woken up with his arms full of his Babydoll. He was happy to have a small little girl who loved him, and had been sitting on the side of the bed, waiting for him to wake up, so that he could cook her breakfast. He was happy that the sun shone into that bedroom, like it was a secret world, far far away from the Tower, the Avengers, and anything that would intrude into it.

He wanted nothing more than to protect his secret world, so no one could find it. No one could sully it.

Even now, as he pushed the shopping cart behind her, hit baseball cap pulled low over his face, he tried to protect that perfect world of his. Well, maybe not perfect. But it was his.

Juliana, who was seated in the basket of the shopping cart, pointed at a brightly colored box of cereal on the shelf. "Can we try that one?"

Brooklyn stopped, reaching for the box, looking it over. The red box with a cartoon leprechaun on the front declared itself as 'Lucky Charms', and 'magically delicious'. His Irish heritage was slightly insulted.

She sighed, turning the box over, and Steve realized it was one of those popular cereals marketed to children, more sugar than anything else. It even had marshmallows in it. Marshmallows, in cereal!

"That cannot be healthy." He commented, leaning over the shopping cart, propping his foot on the bar at the base.

"mhm." Brooklyn hummed, as she turned to put the cereal into the basket, where Juliana picked it up, inspecting the box with great concentration. "She's only going to be a child once. Let her have her small joys."

She walked a down the aisle a few steps before reaching up and pulling down a more healthier option. Holding it up for him, she gave him a cheeky grin, before putting it in the basket as well. "Since you are so concerned about your health. I know at your advanced age, things like getting enough fiber is important."

Steve snorted, and reached out, taking her hand, pulling her to him. "If I'm advanced age, what are you?"

"Clearly I am the pretty young thing that you are seducing and corrupting." She nodded, grinning.

"You make it sound so much worse than it actually is." He complained, rolling his eyes, leaning down. "Can't I just be the guy who wants to show you how good things can be?"

She cocked her head. "That depends on your definition of good. I mean ice cream is good. What you and I have been doing? The way you make me feel? That's way better than ice cream."