Chapter 91

Brooklyn sighed as the gas light went on. According to the signs she saw, the next exit off the interstate had a gas station. She checked the rear view mirror, seeing that Juliana was still asleep in her car seat, as she hit the indicator to signal she was going to exit the interstate. She tapped her foot on the brake to turn off the cruise control and let the natural movement of the car help slow it down.

She coasted down the exit, coming to a stop, before turning and heading towards the bright lights of the truck stop gas station. She hadn't filled the tank in about a week, not wanting to have to make constant trips to the gas station, feeling that it was more costly to do that in the long run. And one good thing about running like this was she wasn't paying City prices for gas.

Reaching up, Brooklyn rubbed her face, flipping down the visor to block the bright sun as she turned into the morning light. Another quick turn, and she slowly pulled up alongside the gas pump.

She hated to do it, but she was going to have to wake up Juliana. She couldn't afford to leave her in the car, even for the amount of time it would take her to slap money down on the counter and tell the attendant the pump number.

Steve had told her that whatever Banner and Stark had been doing with the Sceptre had backfired, and created... something. It was called Ultron. And Ultron had a bone to pick with the Avengers. Banner not being able to check the private server was a major concern. That was why Steve told her to run. Because Banner wasn't sure how much of the information had been accessed. And Banner, bless his organized little heart, had her address and personal information beyond the medical information. The White Queen, as well as Brooklyn Bianchi, was possibly known by this Ultron thing.

After he told her to run, she had tucked the phone between her ear and her shoulder and gotten dressed. Throwing on the first things that came to her hand, she had gone to the closet, pushing everything aside, reaching for the suitcase that had been gathering dust for months now. She had been getting close to putting it all away, not worrying about the need for a bag packed at all times. Now, she had been thankful for her insane paranoia.

She had pulled the suitcase out, throwing it on the bed, while she dropped to her knees and quickly pulled the floorboards away from the safe, opening it and pulling out everything inside.
The cash, the wallet that held the information for the fake identity of Reine DuBlanc, and the unregistered gun. She grabbed one of the larger shoulder bags from the closet, shoving everything inside it, before tossing that on the bed as well, while scooting over to the bed and reaching under it for the box that contained her Queen gear.

"Steve... what should I be prepared for?" She had asked, laying her hands on it, feeling the seconds start to tick away.

His voice was strained. "It's infiltrated the Iron Legion. It's... it's everywhere."
She had swallowed. She had never fought robots.... "Deadly force?"

"Anything you have to do, to protect you and Juliana." He told her softly. "I want you to drive for twelve hours. Once that is done... set off the panic button. I won't... I can't..."

She nodded as his voice trailed off. "I know... I'll be fine. I'll keep us safe."
"I just need a way to find you, when this is all over." His voice was almost a whisper. "I don't know how well the phones will work, if Ultron starts looking for you. I don't know why it would... but I can't risk it. Not the two of you."

"Steve." She kept her voice strong, assured. "Focus on the job. Focus on coming home to us. I'll take care of keeping us safe. I need to make this quick, though. I love you. We'll be fine."

"I love you too, Babydoll." He breathed. "We are gonna take care of this, as quickly as possible. Tell my little Sweetheart I love her, and I'll be with all of you, real soon."