Chapter 99

"But I don't understand." Brooklyn stated, as she lay on the bed, her head hanging off the side, watching Steve pack a bag. She fiddled with her engagement ring worryingly, while narrowing her eyes at him. "Why do you have to 'go away' for a few days? It just doesn't make sense."

"It's tradition." He told her, as he had several times since she began her questioning. "First, there's the bachelor party. Then the traditional 'don't see each other before the wedding'."

"Since when have we ever stood with tradition?" She frowned. "I mean, really, Steve?"

He stopped packing, coming over to stand near her head, his hands on his hips. She grinned up at him, waggling her eyebrows at him. He shook his head, before reaching down and brushing his thumb along her bottom lip.

"Behave, Babydoll." He warned her. "The idea is that we don't see each other a few days before the wedding. It's supposed to... I don't know... heighten the anticipation."

"Like we need that." She snorted, before turning her head to suck and bite at his thumb. "Besides, it's tradition that a virgin wears white. And I'm wearing white. But I'm not a virgin."
"Ah, but you were a virgin until me, and since I'm marrying you, it's only right that you wear white." He slid his fingers into her hair, grasping her head, and holding it still. "It's only a couple of nights. We've had the rehearsal dinner. Juliana is already at the Marino's. The apartment is all but packed up, ready for the movers to take our things up state, as soon as the house is finished. And on Saturday, you are going to walk down that aisle, and become my wife."

"I don't like spending nights away from you." She insisted, reaching up to hook her fingers into his waistband. "And what the hell are you going to get up to at this party of yours, anyhow?"

"I don't know. It's a surprise. Just like your bachelorette party is going to be a surprise." He let go of her hair, dropping to his knees, and leaning over her, pressing his arms on the bed, kissing her gently.

"I hate surprises." She reminded him, against his lips. "I really don't like them."

"I know. I am so aware of that, Babydoll." He smiled. "But you promised Nat you would let her have fun."
"I really worry about what a former Russian agent finds fun." She sighed. "Wilson better keep you in check. I'm not going to be able to come pull your ass out of whatever fuck up you've gotten yourself into. Apparently. Because, you know, tradition."

"So sassy, when you don't get your way." He grinned wider. "I'm gonna have to correct that, on our honeymoon. I'm going to have to wear you out, so much, that you won't be able to remember how to give me lip."

"Don't hold your breath, Steve." She snarked. "I'm pretty sure I was born being sassy. I will die being sassy. And in the meantime, I will be sassy as much as I fucking like."

"I can't wait." He kissed her again, before rubbing his nose against hers. "I promise, nothing is gonna stop me from being at that church, waiting at the end of the aisle, on Saturday morning. I will be standing there, waiting for you to come to me. And then I will take your hand, and we will pledge our lives together. In front of God and our friends and families."

She raised her head, kissing him slowly. "Are you sure I can't tempt you to give up this idea of staying away, until then? How are you going to keep your promise to have me walk down the aisle with your cum leaking down my thighs, if you stay away?"

Steve groaned. "Don't remind me. I'm gonna try and figure that one out. We may have to give it a pass, though, Babydoll. Kitty and Mr. Marino seem pretty intent on keeping you under lock and key until it's time."

"Well, I guess I'm just going to have to take matters into my own hands, then." She sighed. "But you haven't left, yet. And I'm not under lock and key, at the moment." Brooklyn reached out, brushing her fingers down his cheek. "Maybe you could give me a preview of I should expect on our wedding night."