01 New Administration

Three days has passed since Nana insisted that I took a break and heal at the Manor in Alicante away from work. It was supposed to be a week but I talked my way out on cutting it short.

Having been treated like a royal here with the attendants doing all the chores, preparing me food, cleaning my mess, and even offering me massages is driving me crazy. Basically all I have to do is live and breathe. I haven't done a single helpful thing in three days. So, without further ado, I packed up my things before the attendants did so themselves. I'm grateful for them but I'm so ready to get back home and to work.

By the by, we've been officially off probation which makes our situation less crappy but without Jace, everything is still not the same. The Institute has been so busy since the search for him-- them, is on high alert.

I haven't pay my father a visit since. I'm not ready to face him yet knowing what Valentine told me about what they did to me. I've been practicing controlling myself because when I let my emotion get the best of me, my eyes glows... so does my runes. They're like shiny black glittered and I don't know why... which scares me.

Nana said I'll be travelling with the newly appointed Head of the New York Institute. Apparently, Maryse talked her way with the Clave on how Lydia is not doing her job. Now they're sending someone to replace her. Nana dropped me off to the Accords Hall in the Glass Palace, riding in a horse carriage. We bid goodbye before she went to the Gard, up the mountains while I waited patiently for my chaperon.

"If it isn't the crown-princess." I heard a familiar voice behind me. Turning around, he has his arms outstretched, waiting for me to give him a hug.

"Vic? Hey!" I greeted him with a smile as I walk to give him a quick embrace "How long has it been?"

"Too long, Princess."

I know him since I was a kid. He was one of my instructors and despite him being fourteen years older than me we were good friends until he became distant after he lost his wife. He's never been the same cheerful guy since. He became aloof and formal which is so unlike him.

"You're going to be my new boss?"

"Seems like it. Let's get going shall we." he said with a smile.

――――――――――――――

I quickly put my stuff back into my room before I rush down the Ops Center. Maryse is going to be introducing Vic as the new Head and I want to be there, showing support for an old friend. Besides, I want to see my family. They don't know that I'd be coming back today.

I know how stressed they are by the conversation we exchanged in the past days. Obviously, so am I. Jace is important us, that's why I'm so eager to get back to work.

I'm standing at the back near the elevator at Ops, as there is no space to wiggle out... it's crowded. All colleagues are gathered since Maryse sent out the notice meeting. I haven't seen Alec, Izzy, Lei, or Clary yet. Vic and Maryse along with couple of Elite guards are by the Ops bridge podium.

"We are at War. Valentine now has the Mortal Cup which he is no doubt, raising a new army, and one of our own has joined him. As a result, the Clave declared a state of emergency at the Institute. Their first priority is to replace the current leadership, who they have deemed wholly ineffectual." Maryse mocked as she's giving a speech.

I kind of feel bad for Lydia, I know she's doing her best but Maryse went behind her back. I didn't even know about this until Nana told me just before we left the manor.

"It is an honor to introduce the newly appointed Head of the New York Institute. Clave representative, Victor Aldertree." Maryse announce.

Silent murmurs spread around the room by this sudden news. Maryse step down the stairs as Victor take her previous position.