22 Dark Solstice (Alec)

Lei was about to tell me something but was interrupted when the sound of alarm blares throughout the Institute, inflicting that the wards have been breached. Lei and I rushed from the corridor to the Ops to access the commotion.

I thought we secure the wards. I ponder to myself.

"How many soldier are here?" Lei asked.

"Only two dozen. Everyone else is out dealing with the Downworld attacks... I take the entry with Langford." I declare, readying my bow and arrow.

"We'll cover the weaponry." Lei proclaim before leaving.

"Valentine's work?" Evan Langford questioned.

"Only one way to find out." I commence while going to the entrance door.

I'm certain this was Valentine. That's why weird attacks are happening all over Manhattan. He must've sent them so we're outnumbered when he attack the Institute.

The first time I'm glad Maddie and Isabelle weren't here.

As we turn to the corner, the entry door suddenly opened. Everyone came to a halt when we saw a little girl —  Madzie, a warlock with gills as her mark. I saw her back at Iris' apartment while I was waiting for Clary.

She's sweet girl.

What is she doing here?

"Hold your fire." I command, stretching my arms to the team.

"What's a little girl doing here all alone?" Langford whispery query.

"She's a warlock." I noted, walking closer to her. She's staring at me "Madzie... did you-" she interrupted me when she waved her hands, slamming me inside the elevator.

The sound of gasping and chocking was heard from behind as the elevator goes up. I tried to pry the doors open, pulling it as hard as I can which was no use. It was locked tightly.

"Madzie!" I called, pounding the door "Madzie!"

――――――――――――――

"Alec, are you okay?" Jace asked as I answered my phone.

"We're under attack. Major casualties. Valentine used Madzie to take down the wards. She's suffocated everyone." I informed, walking slowly in the hall on the way to the Ops.

"Where's Izzy? Lei?" Jace asked, while I check the pulse of fellow Shadowhunter lying on the floor... he's dead.

"Izzy's not here. I lost Lei, I can't find him." I said, Jace sighed on the other end of the call.

"Alec, Valentine's there to use the power core instead of lightning."

"We can't shut down the power core without the key or codes. Is Maddie with you? She knows how to bypass cybersecurity."

One of the things annoying yet helpful about her. Maddie is a renegade, drilling into things she wasn't supposed to know.

"Uh-- hmm.. Alec, Valentine got Maddie and Simon. He's threatening to kill them if Clary doesn't come and activate the Sword."

I was frozen after hearing the first sentence Jace said...

I was mad. I was mad at her, I didn't mean to leave her behi-- What do I do? I shouldn't have left her.

Oh, God.

"Alec? Are you there?"

I exhale, snapping "I'm here... I thought Maddie can activate the Sword?"