10 Back to Basics

Jace, Lei, Clary and I spend the morning at the library. I told the Morgensterns that Lei knows everything pertaining to my abilities, including that I too, have demon blood.

Clary sketched the rune we saw that we're now officially calling... the Sunlight rune. We're not trying it on ourselves as we don't know the end result of it yet. Like, is she the only one who's allowed to do it or what? We have been reading every book relevant to this and to my ability but we've come up with nothing so far.

"I'm not seeing it in the Gray Book, the Sunlight rune nor the shining of your runes." Jace denotes.

"That's what I said three hours ago." I exhaust, annoyingly.

"Isn't that thing supposed to have every single rune?" Clary questioned.

"Some of them are removed. They're reserved for the most elite members of the Clave." Lei explained.

"Maybe we should ask Izzy and Alec about this." Clary huffed, pealing the sketch she drew.

"Yeah, six heads are better than four." I agreed. Clary and I are about to walk out when...

"No."
"Absolutely not."
Jace and Lei objected in unison as Jace took the paper out of Clary.

"If we tell anyone else, they could be in danger, too." Jace reason out.

"You know how quickly the Clave persecutes anyone or anything they don't understand." Lei added, looking at me. Clary and I nod in understanding. When someone entered the library, Jace quickly stuffed the drawing in his pocket.

"I was looking for Clary, Lindsay told me she saw you guys here." Izzy said, approaching us "What you guys doing?"

"They're teaching me about runes." Clary answered before anything get suspicious. A fire message then suddenly grasp at Lei hands.

"Who's is it?" I asked.

"Magnus. I have to go." Lei quickly leaves.

"Well, me too. I can't have Aldertree add another week of me doing bench duties." Jace huffed before leaving.

"I better get going too. Got to love the day-off... be careful on Citadel, Iz." I pat Izzy on her uninjured arm before walking out the library.

I feel bad to have to kept this to her. She's my parabatai, we shouldn't have kept secret on each other. But I will tell her, sooner rather than later. She's all healed up now from the Demon wound, so I know she can take it.

I went to Alec's room. I haven't ask him on a date, yet. He's probably bored out of his mind. I knocked on the door first before opening it.

"Are you going somewhere?" I asked as he was getting dressed to go out.

"I don't need the day off. I'm gonna request to be put on service today." he enunciates, putting on a jacket "May I can join you?"

"No. I was granted an off duty today." I informed.

"Why?"

"Because I asked."

"Why would you do that?" he questioned, stopping what he was doing.

"Because we're not fine, Alec. We have to stop pretending that we are." I close the door and walk over to him "We've been through hell and back. We could use a break — to take a moment for ourselves."

"Maddie, we're in the middle of a war." he retorted.

"Haven't we always been? A mission to work, a problem to solve, a diplomatic issue to discuss-- look, all I'm saying is we both could use some air. Just the two of us. Besides..." I tease, smiling at him "you still owe me a date."