Chapter 9: Tangles

Jaguar walked down the hallway to Azreal's cell. As he was walking through the lab, he felt a sudden prickling sense of dread crawl up his spine. He didn't know why the feeling would suddenly come. It just kept getting greater and greater as he drew nearer, forming into pure fear.
He tightened his grip on the Angel blade in his palm He glanced at the words above the cell: SUBJECT #000. His breath hitched as he tried keep his breathing quiet.
He peered into the cell, freezing when he saw what was inside. The creature himself was laying curled up in the floor in the corner of the room. He had patchy black fur with bones sticking out everywhere, like a rotting corpse. He saw no rise and fall of his chest. "Azreal...." He said lowly, waking over to the creature. It didn't look like Azreal anymore.
He got as close as he dared, lightly grabbing both the creature's wings and shaking him slightly. All he heard was an exhale of breath and the crack of bones snapping as the wings came right off of the creature's body. Fear surged up in him and he scrambled out of the cell, locking it behind him before leaving.
Once he had made it out of the hall, the fear started to ebb away. "What the hell was that? And what am I supposed to do with these?" He muttered to himself, glancing down at the pair of wings.
Eventually he had just went into a lab and told a pair of scientists to 'mount them on a wall' in a sarcastic manner before trying to shake the whole thing off.

--

Damien got back to the hideout, sitting down while he waited for the others to arrive. He checked his phone for the time, it read 5:32. Firetail should be getting off of work soon. He picked up his gun and started to clean it. I wonder if I should buy us a house, that would be a good surprise. He thought. I could certainly make it happen.
He put the gun down as walked outside, headed to the bank. He talked to someone for a bit before heading to the car dealership. While he was walking, he got a notification on his phone. It was information from his informant. He read it before sending it to Gluzze. Once he arrived at the dealership, he text everyone in a group chat. 'I'm getting a surprise. Try and guess.' He sent before going in.

--

Firetail arrived at the house. He saw vests and guns on the floor. "Why are there guns everywhere?" He muttered. Right after he said that, Star opened the door, Gluzze and Galaxy behind her. They had just finished a conversation about something along the lines of dodgeball.
"We need to start leaving sticky notes around or something." She said, looking at the group message Damien had sent. "Hm, I wonder what he's up to?" She muttered. "I guess so." Firetail replied. "Wait Gluzze your back, and who is this?" He asked, pointing at Galaxy. Last he had heard, Gluzze was in the abyss.
"I'm your sleep paralysis demon, I will haunt you with my colors." Galaxy said in a serious tone. Star laughed and left Gluzze to explain. Gluzze sighed. "This is Galaxy, I found her while I was in the abyss." She explained, pulling out her phone to also read what Damien was up to.
Firetail looked over at the phone. "Where the hell did you get that? And why are there guns here now?" He asked. "Damien." Star replied as if that explained everything. "He got knocked on the head or something and magically remembered he was from a loaded family."
"I wasn't gone for twelve hours." Firetail sighed. "Anything else happen?" He asked. "Oh yeah, we hired someone to sneak out secrets and photos from the Laboratory. We're going to try and make it public, to show people what they do." Gluzze replied.
"Probably won't do anything though." Star replied flatly. Gluzze sighed. "Well I still at least want to try, even just stalling them is a win in my book." She said. "You know what Jaguar's planning, do you really just want to sit back at watch it happen?"
Star shook her head. "I just don't think we can stop a superpowered army, not now, and certainly not when it gets global." Star replied, stating her opinion calmly. "An army, no. I'm not wanting to stop an entire army." Gluzze replied. "Jaguar is the only one we need dead."
Their tensions were high, and Star looked like she was going to say something right before a horn honked loudly outside of the front of the building. Firetail looked out of the window. "Uhh guys, so there's a van sitting right outside." He said.
Star hopped up. "Really? Can you see who's driving?" She asked, peering out the window beside him. Damien got out of the driver's seat, walking around to the other side of the car, waving at them. "Damien?" Firetail said. "What? Please don't tell me he stole it." Star said.
Damien walked inside and handed debit cards to each of them. "If you all are thinking I stole everything than no, again my family is loaded." He said, handing Firetail his phone. "Thank you." Firetail said as Gluzze stood there speechless, Star and Galaxy examining the cards. "What are these?" Star asked, confused.
"You can use debit cards to buy things with the money in your account. With the car I bought we can get around faster, which reminds me; you all have to get licenses too, I can't be the only one that drives." Damien said.
"I had one, but frankly I think the lab stole it and destroyed any traces of me ever existing." Firetail said. "I don't know how to drive, but I'm sure I can pick it up quick." Star said. "What is a car?" Galaxy asked. "Yeah, don't let her drive anytime soon." Star stated.
"That would be a good idea." Damien said. "I can also take you two to school whenever my mom gets done buying an renovating a house. I think it would be a good 30 minute drive, so it would take way longer to walk."
"Holy shit, a house? Are you sure about all this?" Star asked, surprised. "Yes I'm sure, we're in this together." Damien reassured them. "I'll be back." Gluzze said, leaving the building and taking off. She had looked close to tears.
Firetail eyed the dragon. "We've got to get her a therapist." He stated. Galaxy nodded. "She does not know how to deal with her trauma, though. She does not want to be a burden. It will be difficult to talk her into therapy." She said.
"Should I go talk to her about this?" Damien asked. "I'm not sure, I don't want to see her hurting herself again, but I also don't what to make stuff worse." Firetail replied, unsure. He looked to Galaxy. "You know Gluzze the best out of us. What do you think we should do?" He asked.
Galaxy looked hesitant for a minute before replying. "I will go talk to her." She said, leaving the building to go after Gluzze. Damien sat down, yawning. "Imma take a nap." He said, laying down.