Chapter 17: Foreshadowing

Pheonix was in town. Because she pretty much worked every day, she didn't really have a 'schedule.' But she needed a break, so she was taking this precious free-time to defuse. Last night Jaguar had ranted about how the majority of the people at the Falkland Islands Facility had died to to some strange 'explosion,' and the subjects were gone. She knew what happened, of course, but she really didn't want to think about it anymore.
She looked up at the skating rink, skates in hand and her jacket over her arm. She text Damien before heading inside. 'I'm out of the Lab. You could fill me in on what you are planning.' She sent before walking in. She paid and quickly got on the ice.
There was only a few others in there this early in the morning. No one really expected her to like or be good at skating, due to her having fire powers, but she thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a stark contrast to her old fiery temper and it helped her cool down.

...

After a while she eventually decided to pack her things up before headed to the lab. While she checked her phone, she saw that Damien had not replied. After a second of deliberation she text Trippze while headed back to her car. 'Do you know where Damien is? I'm in town but he hasn't responded to any text.' She sent him.
A few seconds later she got a reply. 'No not really.' Pheonix tilted her head. 'Aren't you in the UK? I heard about the transfer, was surprised the message went through.' She sent 'I got back a few hours ago, busted out the subjects and am not returning to the lab. Jaguar must be pissed.' He replied.
'Yep. Why I'm out of the Lab. Heard all about the '"explosion." He thinks you are dead, though. Died in a fire.' She sent, opening her car door. 'Yeah, have fun with that.' Trippze replied. 'So that leaves me as y'all's last informant. At least we have a few days until things get ugly.' She put. 'Yep. Hopefully Damien shows up before than.' Trippze sent. Pheonix put her phone into her pocket after that.

--

Friday Morning

Azreal woke to the smell of bacon. He sat, up rubbing his eyes. When he put his hands down, he saw that Cassiel was starting directly back at him. He nearly jumped halfway across the room. "Cass? How long were you there?" He gasped. "All night...?" Cassiel replied. "Okay, we need to teach you ability a little thing called 'personal space.'" Azreal stated, pulling on a new shirt before headed downstairs.
He saw Trippze and Gluzze in the kitchen cooking, Trippze having bacon in a pan and grabbing some gravy mix while Gluzze was pouring scrambled-egg mix on a pan. Galaxy was on the couch with a notebook and pencil in hand,
Az walked into the kitchen as Trippze was laying the bacon on a paper towel. He stole a few pieces as Star and Firetail came down. "We're up!" Star said cheerfully. Star sat beside Galaxy. "Whatcha up to?" She asked.
Galaxy looked up. "I am attempting to learn this modern English, but this phone either wants to take me to a app for babies or this thing called Duolingo." She said, frustrated. Trippze's ears flipped back as he heard this. He turned to her. "Don't trust Duolingo, if you miss a lesson the bird will show up at your house beat you up and kill everyone you love as a warning." He said
Gluzze rolled her eyes. "That's bullshit, the bird makes you watch as it slowly kills everyone you love, reminding you the whole time its your fault, then cuts the skin off your feet and hands and throws you in a dumpster." She said in a stern voice. Trippze shrugged. "That does sound more like the bird."
"What?" Galaxy asked, her fur standing on edge. "Don't listen to them. Anyways, I could help you. I'm having to learn common grammar stuff." Star said. Galaxy nodded. "It would be appreciated." She replied.
"No they're telling the truth, it happened to a buddy of mine, they found him drowned in a vat of acid in his basement." Firetail pitched in, leaning against the back of the couch. Galaxy nodded. "Got it. No Duolingo."
"You ready to head out, Star?" She glanced up. "Lemme get some breakfast first." She said, standing and taking one of the plates that Trippze had made. She scarfed it down before the two headed out.
Az headed back into the kitchen, grabbing a few more strips of bacon. "Now remember, leave me at least one slice or I will murder each and every one of you." Gluzze stated calmly. Azreal looked at her. "Try me." He said, stealing almost all of it before running off.
Trippze smiled and started to cook some more. Galaxy eventually got food as Cassiel came down the stairs. "Hey, Cassiel, how come Azreal sleeps and you do not?" Galaxy asked him. "Because Azreal is weird." He said. "I am NOT weird!" Azreal shouted.
"Uhh, that's debatable." Trippze commented. "Yeah, you're weird." Gluzze pitched in. "How dare you." Azreal scoffed indignantly, putting a hand over his head and closing his eyes dramatically.