Chapter 6: A Gracious Proposal

Dawn's POV

After demonstrating our teamwork to Crowley once more, I was close to passing out while Grim was panting on the floor.

"Hee-haaa...How 'bout that!", said Grim.

"I can't believe...there is a person who can command monsters.", Crowley said while still observing me; I had a feeling that something must have caught his eye while we were batting him in his ghost form. "Hmmm...My teacher senses were telling me since the uproar during the entrance ceremony that you have talent as an animal or wild beast tamer. But... no matter how... *mutter*"

While he was pondering, I thought to myself, 'I always had a thing when it comes to animals, well mostly with Chloe's dog Macaroni, but how can I handle wild creatures in this world when I can barely manage Grim?.... Then again, maybe having him around could provide me with a little more protection in this strange new world.'

With that in mind, I decided to make my request to the headmaster, "Sir, could you possibly let Grim stay here with me?"

"What now? A monster?", Crowley asked as he was surprised by my question.

"You...", even Grim was caught off guard by my request.

"Please, sir. I'm scared that the ghosts might come back.", I was asking while looking at him with pleading eyes.

After hearing my desperation, Crowley said, ".....hah...It can't be helped. Alright."

'Yes!!', I thought with joy knowing I will have someone with me.

"Hnn!? Really!?", exclaimed Grim.

"However", Crowley stated while looking at Grim. "I can't simply allow someone, let alone a monster, into school who wasn't selected by the Dark Mirror." Then he diverted his attention to me. "Also, I can't let you be a freeloader here until you return to your world."

"Well...talk about short-lived joy...", Grim said with a bit of disappointment.

"Listen until the end.", said Crowley. "Concerning the fact that your soul was called here, the school has to take responsibility as the owners of the Dark Mirror."

"What do you propose about this?", I asked the headmaster.

"For the time being, you'll be permitted to stay in this dormitory for free.", answered Crowley. "But, other necessities you will have to provide for yourself. Seeing as you have nothing to your name...Fufu, here is my proposition."

I took a big gulp as the headmaster finished his sentence, hearing what his "proposition" might be sent a chill down my spine; I decided to learn what this might be and asked, "What exactly are you going to make me do?"

"No need to fret, I'll have you do maintenance and odd jobs around campus.", answered Crowley "From what I can see, you're pretty decent at cleaning. Would you two like to become the 'handyman' of the school?"

"Handyman?...", I asked in disbelief. I seriously didn't think I would end up being a Janitor in an all-boys school.

"This way, you will receive special permission to remain on school grounds.", explained the headmaster. "You'll also be able to research going home or study whatever you desire in the library. For I am gracious."

'Research? This could be my only chance to find my way back home...', I thought to myself.

"However!", his voice broke my train of thought. "Only after your work is done."

"Eeeh!? I'm not okay with that! I wanna wear that fancy uniform and be a student!", complained Grim.

"It's fine if you're unsatisfied. I'll simply toss you out again.", stated Crowley.

"Ffgnaa!? I get it! I just have to do it. Just do it!", said Grim.

Seeing how I don't have anywhere else to go and that this could only benefit my only chance of finding my way back, I took a breath and said, "Understood, sir."

"Wonderful. Then, you two starting tomorrow, endeavour to be the best handyman at Night Raven College!", said Crowley.

After everything, I thought to myself, 'This birthday just keeps getting better and better...'

-------------------------------------------------------------

Shortly after Crowley left the Ramshackle Dorm, Grim and I managed to find a vacant old room with a bed; I was way too tired to notice the condition of the room or that I am still wearing these robes that I ended up falling asleep on the bed while Grim slept at the bottom part.

After what felt like endless sleep, I found myself waking up in one of Ramshackle Dorm's rooms at the crack of dawn. 'I thought for sure I was having a dream, but this is my reality...', I thought to myself. Once I felt myself come together, I notice three familiar spectres in our room and jumped a bit.

"Heeheehee... Don't you two have to up to clean the school?", said the skinny ghost.

"Unnnn...Munyaaa...Five more minutes...", Grim mumbled in his sleep.

"Laze about too long and you'll never wake up again.", the small ghost said.

"Just like us! Eee heehee!", the chubby ghost added.

At that moment, Grim woke up from his sleep to see other "guests" in our room. "Ffgya!? It's ghosts again! Hey you, wake up!!"

"No need to shout, I'm up!", I yelled. With that, I and Grim once again battle our ghoulish foes.

After our scuffle, everybody calmed down enough to get ready for the day; the skinny ghost said, "Are you all going to be living here? You're gonna get pranked. Kekeke!"

"Shoot. We'll get rid of you eventually!", Grim proclaimed.

"I don't know Grim, I think they'll be with us for a while since this is their home.", I said.

Suddenly, we heard footsteps that signalled the arrival of a certain bird-man. Headmaster Crowley came into our room and greeted us. "Good morning, you two. Did you sleep well?"

"I was all sprawled out then I fell out the bottom!", complained Grim. "Just how ramshackle did you let this place get? Then the ghosts woke me up, this is the worst!"

"Surprisingly, I slept like a rock.", I said. Normally, I wouldn't sleep so well in an unfamiliar environment, but last night's "events" made it easier.

"Even though you just got tossed over from another world you can still be cheeky, wonderful!", said Crowley. "I came to speak to you about your work for today."

Once we were downstairs at the lounge, Crowley handed me a brown canvas messenger bag, a set of cleaning supplies along with a new set of clothes; which consists of a pair of running shoes with socks, some blue jeans, a white long-sleeve t-shirt, and a grey hoodie. I thought that these will do very well since it would be ridiculous for me to do the cleaning in these ceremonial robes.

"Today, you are to clean the campus.", he said to us. "...But the campus is quite large. Cleaning it all with magic would be impossible. So I'd like you to clean Main Street from the main gate to the library."

"Understood? Please watch Grim closely so he doesn't cause a scene like yesterday.", he asked me with a stern look.

Since there was nowhere else for me to go, I took a deep breath and said, " I understand, sir."

"I'm counting on you. You have permission to have lunch in the school cafeteria. Take care that you work enthusiastically.", said Crowley and left the two of us alone.

"Tsk... No way I'm doing any cleaning. I wanna go to class and, bang! Boom! Boom! Boom! Use a bunch of awesome spells~", said Grim.

"Come on, Grim. We can go study in the library after we finish cleaning, for now, let's just go to the campus.", I told him as I picked him up in my arms.

All Grim did was grumble as I went to get ready for the day. 'Maybe something in the library can help me learn more about this world, it might be my only chance in understanding this place better and to finding a way back to my world.', I thought once I changed into my new clothes; with Grim on one shoulder, the bag on my other shoulder, and the supplies in both of my hands, we went out to our destination where Crowley instructed us.