Thirty

Yi Bo overreacted to his sister accusation wasn't without the reason. He was afraid, he was terrify, and he feels insecure by revealing his sex orientation which is still a taboo for some and perhaps most of the people in the society. He wanted to tell Yi Li about his interest toward males specifically Xiao Zhan, but he have to call it off when he found how his bestie, Richard Jackson, whom he considered as a person who will understand him the most and accept him as who he is, was put him down when he confessing about his relationship with Xiao Zhan. He never thought that Richard would reacts so shock and behaves aggressive toward him just because he is... Different.

"What?? You must be kidding me,. Dude!" Was Richard's reaction when Yi Bo told him that he and Xiao Zhan are dating, and even had sex a few times.

"Rich! Listen to me!"  Yi Bo grabbed Richard's hand who already gets up out of shock.

"Do not touch me!"  Screamed Richard lowly. He slapped Yi Bo's hand away from his. Then he continued, "Dude... I never expect this. I was thinking that you are too shy and closed yourself, that's why you can't get yourself a girl. But now I know why... I should've figured it out since long time ago....!"

Yi Bo didn't speak. He kept looking at Richard.

"Sorry, Dude. I used to like befriend you. But...." Richard sighed. "Now I don't know already. I... You need to stay away from me from now on...!"

"Rich! You're my only friend!" Cried Yi Bo.

Richard pursed his lips into a thin line. He pats Yi Bo's shoulder.

"I need time to think about it, Dude... You know. I.... Still shock. I-I... Still can't accept it. You also better think about it...!" Decided Richard.

"Next month is your birthday...'" Yi Bo mumbled. He wished that the other boy will allows him to come even though he doesn't want to befriend him anymore.

But his hope burnt down when he saw Richard shook his head.

"You better don't come. I'm not inviting you to my birthday party...!" Said Richard.

And after that he went away, leaving Yi Bo who stunned on his seat, watching him leaving.

Loosing the only friend he has broke Yi Bo. He thought Richard will accept him of being gay. He thought if he has more money and fame, Richard won't mind about it. But he was wrong. Richard dumped him after he confessed. What's wrong of being gay? He is gay, but he didn't have interest toward his bestie. Or other guy for this time. Only Xiao Zhan. And if he can't call himself straight as well, because he has no interest romantically or sexually toward female.

*****

Night has fallen, replacing the bright day. Yi Li has finished cooking for dinner. She sat on the dining table with dinner served in front of her. She decided to cook the special food, Yi Bo's favorite home food to apologize to his brother for judging him this morning. She realized, her brother was an introvert. He had no many friends at school or neighborhood. And from Richard's story, he also left Yi Bo because he's gay. And if she also judging him, cornered him, who else does he have in this town? No one has his back to support him, to stand by him to overcome the judgements from the society.

Yi Li glanced at the clock. 9 PM. But Yi Bo hasn't arrived. She had called the boy a few times since 7, but he never pick up the call. Yi Li tried to call him again. This time the phone she called even dead. Yi Li closed her eyes. She felt very guilt to her brother. She put the phone down in the table. She looked at the food that running cold, then she stands up, walks to the door. She opened the door slightly,. Looking at the road, expecting that Yi Bo's bike will coming up. But the road seemed to be empty in this time. Only one or two residents' cars passed by at the low speed.