The Rescue (56)

I don't think I'll ever be sorry enough for the amount of time this took me. I never wanted to leave you guys for so long but to be honest, I've been having a rough time lately and I needed a break to think. I'm not gonna say I'll be better because I can't promise that, I just hope that you don't give up on me and my book because we love you so very much.
Also, can I just say, we JUST hit 10k??? Even being so inconsistent with my work you guys still reward me with the best things possible. I simply am in awe and cannot believe we got this far. Thank you, thank you from the bottom of my heart. You guys are the reason I keep going and doing what I love and it's just incredible. Again thank you.

Now let's get to the good bits.

Louis' POV 4 days later

"I knew this was bound to happen," Anne mumbles, not so quietly, from across the room. She surely knows how to make someone feel like shit even after you've hit rock bottom, I'll give her that.

It's been four days since we realised they were missing. The first one was such a mess because of the number of calls being made, Gemma and Anne arrived later that evening alongside half of our English team. I've contacted Callum and he said they would be over as soon as possible but he and the boys had to complete a mission first. Four days of worrying, of not sleeping, not eating. Four days of failing.

I just couldn't do it. I've tried taking a break, thinking outside the box, different perspectives, manifestation, praying. I'm convinced I tried all the known ways but I can't find them. It's like they've disappeared off earth.

"I told him and told him how much of a bad idea that girl was, he should have killed her the minute you arrived at the penthouse." She continues on, furiously tapping on her computer and speaking to no one in particular. If this happened a week ago, maybe two, I would have agreed with her. Because when you think about it, it's really easy to say our life started going wrong after Davina's arrival, and in a way, yes, event's timelines kind of collided. But I believe this is our fault.

If Harry never went after revenge, if I hadn't singled out Liam so much, if Niall took things more seriously. If we never worked for Harry's parents at all, maybe we wouldn't be here, maybe we'd be happy and free, maybe we'd be dead. It's hard to tell. I'd like to believe everything is happening for a reason, that this is some sort of test of perseverance, I just wish it wasn't so drastic.

"You don't give Harry hardly enough credit," I tell her without looking up from my computer screen, my the emotion in my voice shows that I mean every word. They're forgetting how far he's come.

The late afternoon sun peeks through the closed curtains of the tightly-packed office, people coming in and out every second and all our physical files spread around the floor. My board had finally been put to use, more things being added and removed once we decided what was a real clue and what was a waste of space. Niall has been out of the house most of the day, meeting close contacts that would somehow know Liam's whereabouts. We were looking for clues, anything that's even set us in the right direction.

The low buzzing of computers working has been background noise for me for the past fifteen hours, Niall had tried to convince me to go take a shower and change clothes but I just couldn't waste any more time. It was probably a bad decision since I smelled like shit but it doesn't matter. I just need to find them.

Anne doesn't answer me, she's heard me, I know from the deepened frown on her face, but she ignores me like always. "You know, if there was any way we could have prevented this, we would have done it." I press on against my better judgement. I don't know what's come over me, maybe it's the lack of sleep or excessive amounts of caffeine because we're not allowed to talk back to Anne. Even Harry, but he never seemed to care.