It's nice to have a friend (59)

Did some things you can't speak of,
and at night you live it all again.
***
Wasn't it easier running wild till you fell asleep?
Before the monsters caught up to you.

Disclaimer: I know the ages here aren't accurate but I changed them cuz lmao why not.

Also, who's ready for HS3???? SO excited about Harry's House!

Davina's POV

Dirt and wind all around. Strong, so strong. It takes a good ten seconds and when I'm sure I'll fly away, it stops. I take a few deep breaths, feeling the cold air make its way down my lungs until I have courage enough to uncover my eyes. We've been here before

Nighttime, nowhere near home, wherever that is. The middle of a deserted highway, the only form of illumination being the light posts just above. It doesn't take much time for it to sink in. This was the highway. The highway just before you enter London. The highway that ruined everything.

I hear a car engine approaching. Strong headlights blinding anyone in the way. I could still make out my father's angry face as he shouted something. I remember it all too damn clearly. They get closer, too fast, my heart trying to keep up with the ungodly speed.

We move, we shoot, we step over for what seems like a whole hour, a whole eternity. It feels so unbearably hot here. All the blood and the dead guards, it's all I could see. The blaring at my ear too, although it sounds much clearer now than it did then. "We're almost at the exit!" Louis yells over the noise.

But hold on. We have been here before. But this isn't it. The accident.

I see it, then. The badly built intersection crossed the main road at a 45-degree angle. Tall trees covered the whole left side of the road so it was impossible to see if any car was coming through the intersection. It was their job to stop. But from where I stood, I could see it clearly, so clearly.

But Louis wasn't here. Why do I remember him? Why can I see concrete, damp walls alongside what was supposedly an open road?

I could see the car coming, probably double my dad's speed, switching lanes recklessly and almost hitting a few trees. I recognized the car. I have to stop it. Stop. They can't hear me, I know that, I've tried. I've seen this movie plenty of times before, I hate the ending.

But amongst all the angst, I hear Louis' voice as he yells, "I'm gonna throw one!" I feel his hands on me cutting through the panic in my head. He sends me a worried glance, pulls out what I think are grenades and I pray. "You have to be quick!" I couldn't function. My physical body just didn't obey my mind anymore. I still felt the panic, the adrenaline, the fear. I could hear them. But I just... stood.

Every moment, every second, every breath had wound up to this. The panic centres around my heart, the rest of my body completely numb to anything. You know the expression they always use, 'it's like watching a car crash from the outside, you can't stop it.'? I always thought it was bullshit but standing here now, it's like slow motion. I can't believe I let it happen twice. I never, ever, help those who need me when they need me. Useless Davina

Every second beats my brain. I see my dad, I see the car, I see my mom's panicked face. I can hear the screams. I see the exact moment the black car crashed into our left side. I hear the soul-shattering sound of metal crackling, the sound of desperation. And I don't move. I never, ever, do.

And then there's Harry, looking at me with pleading eyes, trying to catch my own but I can only look right through him. I can't face him, not after so uselessly giving up on life. On us. "Please run!" He yells just as Louis stops shooting and sends grenades in each direction. I will run. I will. I just have something to do. I will help us. I haven't given up, I promise.