Five

Third Person

"Hi... What can I do for you? May problema ba?" Irene opened the door to find the woman she least expected to visit her.

"Can we talk?" Lorraine offered her a small smile. Irene hid her frown and nodded, "Sure..."

Irene poked her head to see her secretary, "I won't be consulting muna... Take a break." She said and closed the door after her. Lorraine and Irene walked in silence towards Irene's desk. The only sound they heard was the sound of the machine of her inverter.

Irene went to her coffee machine and offered Lorraine a cup of warm coffee. It was the least thing she could give. Lorraine smiled upon receiving the mug and warmed her palms with the mug. Irene sipped on her coffee and settled it on top of her desk, looking at Lorraine, "What brings you here?" She asked.

Lorraine licked her lower lip and sighed, "2 weeks." She started, Irene frowned and her eyebrows furrowed, "Hmm?"

She took a deep breath and exhaled, "I just want to let you know that I called off our engagement." Irene's eyes grew. They were engaged?! He was getting married? Akala ko girlfriend?

"I'm sorry... to hear that..." She uttered, quite hesitantly.

What was Greggy thinking... Lorraine is far more beautiful, younger, and had no baggage to carry like me. She thought to herself

"When you walked into his life again, I just knew that my place in his heart has left. I tried to hate you, but I couldn't. You were his almost. No matter how hard he'll try to forget you, the heart always remembers." Lorraine trailed.

She was not a kid anymore. She knew those stolen glances meant something. There was always that certain look of Greggy when he stares at Irene, and Lorraine knows that he can never afford to look at her the same.

She tried to shake it off her thoughts and remind herself that it was her time now. She convinced herself that Irene had her time and now was hers. To be love and to love Greggy. But boy was she so wrong. She knew by now that Greggy and Irene's love for each other never really faded, it never did go away. It was there somewhere deep within their hearts and minds. Their hearts will still beat in unison when they're together.

It hurt Lorraine to realize this, but she was educated enough not to stoop down to some people's level. She loved him so, but there was just so much that echoed loudly in their silence to be ignored.

Lorraine knew how Greggy treasures Irene. She knew that he was forced into their relationship. How could he go in on a relationship if he wasn't done loving another? And he could never love her for as long as Irene is there. And that was the truth. She will never be Irene.

Greggy will never love anyone else but Irene. It's already written in the stars. They were just the ones who are making it so complicated.

Irene tried to find words to comfort her but hesitated as she didn't want to look nosy or she don't know. She hasn't been in this situation before and it was frustrating.

"I understand. I can never be you, Irene. I will never equate to you. I can never be the woman he loved because he loves you... And I do understand." Lorraine reached for her hand. Her hand was cold, Irene rested her hand above her to warm it up.

"I'm sorry... I don't know what to say... I...I can call him and talk to him about this..." Irene frowned, bit her lip, and sighed.

"No... Don't... It's not your fault, Irene..." She smiled her tears in the sockets of her eyes. "I want to hate the both of you so much. But I couldn't. I can't find the right reasons to hate you. Nagmamahalan lang naman kayo, sino ba naman ako para ipagkait yan." She swallowed a lump in her throat.