Thirteen

Third Person

"Hey."

"Hey..."

They stared at each other, eyes locked, and smiles on their faces were seen. Greggy then pointed at the table and Irene nodded. As they were both seated comfortably in their seats, Irene then looked a the paper bag that was placed on the table.

"Ano yan?" She asked, pursing her mouth and pointing it to the paper bag. "Ah... I have something to give you..." He dug his hand inside the bag and later carried the treasure box, placing it slowly beside the paper bag. "Do you remember the key I gave you?"

Irene nodded and smiled, "Yeah. I've been meaning to ask you that..."

Greggy smiled back then looked at the box, "Well, I forgot to give you this along with it. You used to love collecting things so I got this for you that time but, I don't know maybe it was fate's doing that I forgot to bring this with me when I saw you in Patricia's house."

Irene just looked at him, confused and happy at the same time. "So there's nothing inside?"

"There is now. Kaya nga siguro 'di ko to nabigay noon kasi gagamitin ko pala sa pag pangligaw sa'yo..." He winked making Irene chuckle. "There are letters inside. Can you open one each every day?" He went on.

Irene smiled and nodded, "Yes. Sure." She looked at the treasure box. "Mga pakulo mo talaga, Regy..." She chuckled.

"I'm serious about the ligaw thing..." He said a matter of factly. Irene just nodded, "I know... And I know that you know what my answer is..." She shrugged, playing it coy, "But, let's do your own way... Parang gusto ko rin naman..." They laughed at what she said.

After the laughter subsided, Irene's face then grew serious and then sighed, Greggy noticed this and reached for her hand. "Anong nangyari?" He asked, stroking the back of her hand with his thumb.

"It's Xab..." She frowned.

His eyebrows then furrowed, his smile dropping, "Huh? Bakit?" Irene rested her elbows on the table and laid down her forearms.

"Hindi kaya ng katawan niya... She's too weak to fight on with the medications." Irene bit her lower lip, "And, she might not be able to make it, Rej..." She calmly said, although her voice was shaky.

Greggy scrunched his eyebrows, "No. No... Elena said she'll do everything to save Xab." He clenched his fists, "Ginagawa namin lahat. But it's Xab's body that's declining everything we give, Greggy." Irene looked at him, a little shocked.

He sat there, fists clenched, unable to speak. Irene sighed and reached out for his hand, and somehow it softened his grip. "We're still trying, Greggy. Let's not lose hope." Irene smiled sadly.

Greggy just sighed and nodded.

༻✧༺

And after their afternoon talk, they drove back on their to their own home.

Irene was picking out night clothes in her closet as her phone chimed from her bedroom. She looked at the door first before going out of her closet. She walked towards her nightstand to check on who texted her. And to no surprise, it was Greggy.

 And to no surprise, it was Greggy