Chapter 26 - What the heart wants

What was he even doing?

Even though Wei Ying shot him the most shameful look he could muster, looking at him from underneath his lashes, Lan Zhan did not move. And Wei Ying could only watch that blush spread up above his eyebrows, settling there.

The dragon truly looked like a deer caught in headlights and maybe, just maybe, the fox did enjoy that reaction a little. 

*********************************

A soft melody.

Some lovely tunes, slow and peaceful. He heard it before, he was certain. He just couldn't really grasp where – and then he was simply too tired to care further.

It caressed his ears, that twitched in a tiny movement, but his body was exhausted and sleepy. It weighted down heavily and the second thing Wei Ying noticed was that immense scent of sandalwood, latching onto him from every direction.

It calmed him even more, making him doze off again. It was still night from the lack of light in front of his eyelids and so he used the privilege and got back into the slumber he deserved.

Wei Ying was cuddly and content, even when he awoke for anew. This time, he felt well rested. From the light behind his closed eyelids, he knew that the morning was already there. A deep breath left him. It was just like every morning, where he just didn't want to get up! But even more right now!

Surprisingly, Wei Ying's head was very comfortable. With great enthusiasm, he pushed his nose more into the soft material, which rested above a firm object. Glee filled him as he discovered where that wonderful sandalwood scent came from and nuzzled more into it, breathing in deeply.

Every ounce of him was content and felt soft all over. The seven tails that were so restless every other moment were sprawled out on himself and that comfortable bed, curling slightly at their ends as he awoke.

Wei Ying's mind slowly caught onto something that was firmly wrapped around his tail, hugging it like a vine. No, not just one. Two, to be exact. And a third one of his held onto it just as much.

The feeling was strange and comforting at the same time. A combination that pressured him to be even more aware of what was around him.

Especially of that steady heartbeat underneath his right ear, strong and steadily thumbing. Or the rise and fall of his pillow. Or that arm, that was wound around his waist, comfortable and warm-

Wei Ying's breath hitches instantly. Finally, everything connected in his head and his eyes blinked open. They adjusted much too slow to the light, especially with the white fabric just underneath his head.

Sandalwood. A firm chest and heartbeat. White clothing.

Lan Zhan.

They must have fallen asleep together before. The evening and night were pretty cool, like every time in the burial mounds. Wei Ying only remembers stealing warmth from that smooth dragon tail, then leaning against Lan Zhan's shoulder as he noticed that the other was fast asleep. Sitting, above all else!

And maybe, just maybe, did he use that comfortable-looking lap as a pillow. He was just tired of sleeping on the hard ground! And maybe for five minutes, he told himself, he would just use this opportunity-

It turned out to be much longer than that.

His whole face exploded into different shades of red, lighting up like a Christmas tree, and his silver eyes looked upwards, to the face that was still unblemished by the morning. It seemed that the dragon was still fast asleep; not aware of who had wrenched himself into his arms in the night.