Chapter 50 - False serenity

However, Wei Ying knew that this was the place they were searching for.

Without cutting the yin flow into the fire in his hands, both he and Lan Zhan descended onto the ground outside. Some lanterns flickered in the dark light and only low drunkards or men stumbling out of spring houses occasionally inhabited the streets.

"This must be it", Wei Ying hummed under his breath as he let his eyes travel over the different buildings. 

****************************

A deep breath in, a deep breath out.

With a slow motion, Wei Ying smoothed out the black outer robe he had gained just recently. The material was soft but sturdy, truly of great quality. It was a gift of Lan Zhan, given just this morning and he was glad that he was out of the dirty material he had used before.

In addition to that, there were several pouches sewn inside his robes. Wei Ying had already prepared some talismans that were placed there, the first time he really got back into his inventions. Up to his wishes, there was even a little pouch fit for a tiny dragon inside. Had he have it months before, he could have safely stored A-Yuan within it.

His gaze went outside the window, right towards one of the inner courtyards.

Now that Jiang Cheng was not in Lotus Pier anymore, countless soldiers were patrolling around. The safety was tightened extremely after the incident days prior, even more because the clan leader was absent.

His most trusted people were now carrying the responsibilities that had been resting on his shoulders here, but he had more to carry himself this moment as well.

In a motion that was more instinctual than habit, Wei Ying patted over his chest, the exact spot that felt lighter now. The same spot where he had carried the white scale for months now. But there was a person who needed it more than himself right now.

It wasn't a certain thing that it would help with what was to come, but it was a chance he wouldn't let pass. Prevention was just as important as everything else.

Now, there was one more thing he needed to do.

With a heavy heart he turned around towards the phoenix resting on the bed, the one that was already watching him with attentive and knowledgeable eyes.

"Are you ready, Wen Ning?", Wei Ying asked him, his voice as steady as he could get it with what he asked of him, "It will not be pleasant. It might take years until you gained enough energy that they grow back properly."

Wen Ning was still watching him with a gaze that was unchanged. It was amazing how Wei Ying could still see that answer in his eyes, that unwavering seriousness that was able to appear in his chest.

From such a warm and soft individual, a being that he always says resembled a Qilin, the impact of such strong eyes was always something that left him in awe.

Instead, the phoenix stood on the bedding and stretched his body once, fluffing up the countless feathers covering his body. They were beautiful, a deep shade of red that reflected in the light. In this pitiful state, there were no flames covering them, but the energy was only lost on the outside.

It was this knowledge that made this possible and Wei Ying slowly stepped nearer, looking at the phoenix with unconcealed worry and shame.

Under his eyes, Wen Ning began to preen his feathers a little, his beak running over the different feathers of his wings.

With a clipped off sound, the biggest and most vibrant feather of his left wing was in his beak. The whole body of the phoenix flinched and not a second later, he got a little smaller due to the loss of energy.