Chapter 40 - Dark awakening

"Right, right! You can do it, Lan Zhan! And don't forget, I'll be here the whole time as well!"

"Mn. I will trust Wei Ying."

A little smile showed itself on Lan Zhan's face and Wei Ying was extremely proud of that.

If it was after him, he would have immediately jumped up to put his own hand on the dragon's shoulder to pat it with maybe a little too much strength.

The blinding pain shooting up his arm hindered him from that. 

******************************

This was hell.

And Wei Ying lived for endless years in the Burial Mounds! But this was harder than anything he ever did before.

The boredom was almost killing him. He could swear that they've already stayed longer within this library than his whole life up to that point (although it must have been only a couple of hours). Searching through so many shelves, through so many books and scrolls, it was truly testing his patience.

At first, they concentrated on sorting the shelves and different books they've found. Wei Ying was still pretty motivated, ready to find something and truly get the approval of Lan Xichen.

Next, they sorted the countless possible books one more time, before dividing them between each of them. That was alright too. Wei Ying's mood was not the best, but it was manageable.

Right until it came to the part of actually looking through them. That was by far the worst idea the fox ever had. And the most boring one of his life. Only one hour in and his head was already mush, already aching for some sort of task that would make him think.

Nothing of that sort happened. It was mainly just moving one page to the next, only to find nothing that would help them.

At least, the fox had the opportunity to catch onto the recent happenings in the cultivational world. Within this secret library, there were many books that couldn't be found anywhere else and secret scrolls about the war against the Wen, for example. One of them contained information about a man named Meng Yao, the one man Wei Ying discovered to be Jin Guangyao himself.

Supposedly, he had been a bastard of Jin Guangshan, birthed in a spring house in Yunping City by a prostitute. Just as his mother, the Jin had been born as a deer spirit, the whole opposite of the strong and stubborn oxes of the Jin clan. Maybe that was one reason why he was refused the position as a legitimized bastard in the past. Now that he was named Jin Guangyao, it seemed that Jin Guangshan finally recognized him after his deeds.

The whole opposite to Wei Ying then. But at least one of them came out better after the whole chaos, in one way at least.

It had been years when he last heard that first name – Meng Yao – the name of the man that infiltrated the Wens and killed their leader in cold blood. Wei Ying himself remembered the controversial discussions about that. In the face of the warriors, this was no earned victory, to stab someone in their back. For the fox, it didn't matter.

The war was won.

That should mean that no one will die without reason, he had thought back then.

He had thought wrong.

With a long, stretched out sigh, the fox closed the book in front of him. All that information wouldn't do him any good. He had a task he needed to fulfil and as he looked around him, Lan Xichen and Lan Zhan were both heavily concentrated on their task.

At first, he thought about slipping over to his lover to perhaps bother and tease him a little, just to get that itchy boring feeling from his skin. At the second thought however, he simply lost himself in the picture of the reading Lan Zhan. Right until the moment the dragon felt the burning gaze and the fox quickly looked away.