Chapter 58 - Breathe

Lan Zhan hummed in return, his earlobes blushing the deepest shade of red at the attention of his lover. Wei Ying couldn't help himself to snuggle up to him even more, declaring his feelings time and time again.

Right until there was a loud and tormented sigh.

"First this boy and now I need to see you rub yourself all over him? Do that where I don't need to see it at least."

***************************

A freezing breeze travelled across the ashen ground.

The darkness of the night was slowly falling apart at the horizon. Stars were still lighting the way, even though the dark black got lighter and lighter at its edges. It was the beauty of a new beginning, something that could have resembled peace.

But none of that mattered to the spirits that were almost bound to their place, right as the last shreds of the resentful spirit and its son vanished within the night.

Wei Ying stared at the spot where the man had stood, the one that had been responsible for all this suffering and pain. It didn't register with Wei Ying that his devastating plan had failed, that the danger was over and the people responsible dead.

Even his hand, the one that was clutching Chenqing, couldn't stop its shaking.

Then, a soft touch at his own wrist. Only the barest of warmth, but he knew the rough fingertips very well. It shook him from the silence raging in his head and as Wei Ying looked to his side, it was Lan Zhan gazing back at him.

These golden eyes were edging on concern, the softest glint of a question and only as Wei Ying nodded, the touch around his wrist fell away.

"Wei Ying. We need to look for him."

That was when he remembered the most important thing.

"A-Yuan!", he called out and quickly jumped into action. His body turned swiftly while his heart was beating painfully in his chest; and Lan Zhan was not too far away.

The huge form of the burning phoenix was dangerous as it was beautiful, a truly magnificent sight.

Even more so now. It was easy to see him in the approaching dawn, with flames that were reaching from its beak to his tail feathers. One of its wings was slung around its body and that was exactly where Wei Ying was running to.

"A-Yuan! Wen Ning!", he called out to them, his voice breaking once in the process.

His voice was so loud that everyone could hear it over the area, but he didn't care. It did what it had to and Wen Ning was quickly looking at him, slowly making his way towards him as well. Lan Zhan was right behind the fox and as soon as he was close enough, Wen Ning slowly opened his wing.

And right there, softly pressed against his softest feathers, was the little dragon child.

Moveless, safely lost in a deep slumber. It was no surprise and maybe even better that A-Yuan was not conscious right now. After being possessed by a resentful spirit, Wei Ying wanted him to have a little peace.

With careful precision, Wen Ning leaned down and Wei Ying took no time to gently take his child into his arms. The little body was warm, maybe a little warmer than usual, but there were no outer injuries he could see.

One shuddering breath, then another and then Lan Zhan softly placed his hand on his back. Such a grounding weight was just what he needed and the fox swallowed the stinging feeling in his eyes and smiled brightly instead.

"You really are a troublemaker like me, ah?", Wei Ying said to the sleeping bundle in his arms, the one that was currently snuggling and curling against his chest instinctively. His hands slowly scratched under the little snout and the dragon inhaled fully once, then sighed and pressed it more against it.