Chapter 55 - Lost and found

"Are you happy?", Wei Ying asked. It was irritating, how he felt his heart slow down. It was weird how he felt his heartbeat in his ears and neck. It was confusing, but it was strangely peaceful.

Another pause. Longer this time.

"Yes, mother."

******************************

"Mama!"

A sharp breath, then an inhale and he sat up. With a heaving chest and a clouded mind, Wei Ying moved his hand through his hair. The long strands were softer in his hand than he remembered, clearly taken care of deliberately.

It did not matter either way.

The soft morning sun broke through the open windows, a breeze travelling into the cool walls. Somehow Wei Ying was aching all over his body, a sense of dread filling his stomach, but it was disregarded quickly. It only took a gaze around the room, the sheets and clothing all over the floor and he knew that he needed to clean later.

Within one slow movement he sat up on the bed he was laying on, the thin blanket rushing down his arms and bare chest. And as his eyes found the little bundle of joy running right towards him, he couldn't help but smile.

„My little radish", Wei Ying said with a bright smile, but the little boy was already jumping right up onto the bed.

Like he had no other goal than this, he quickly cuddled close to his parent with a satisfied smile on his face, nuzzling into the warm comfort that he was offered. Although Wei Ying felt rather tired, he simply wouldn't ever deny the tiny little creature that was relying on him so heavily.

I want him back.

„What is it, my radish?"

„I've missed you", his son immediately said to him. He raised his gaze in that cute way only he could do, watching him with those huge eyes that made Wei Ying's heart melt in a heartbeat, „Mama was gone for the whole night! But big sister watched over me, like mama said!"

A little spark of confusion, because he surely must have meant Wen Ning. But either way, he gently pressed a kiss onto the little boy's forehead and chuckled at the antics of him trying to climb even further into his lap.

„Very good. Have you been a good boy?"

„Yes! Yes", he immediately shouted out and began to bounce in his exited energy, „I've practiced reading and writing! Oh, and last evening she was teaching me music! Are you proud, mama?"

„Of course. What else can I be with a cute boy as you?", he responded, a huge grin forming on his face. Wei Ying wasted no opportunity and quickly caught his son in a tickle attack, enjoying the little squeal and the laughter that reached his ears.

Fooling around was still one of his favourite activities, something he heavily motivated with his child.

„Mama! Mama, wait!", the little one called out with a laugh and Wei Ying decided to grand him mercy, simply because he was too cute, „Mama, do you know – Would papa be proud as well?"

His fingers stilled for a moment. Then for another.

He only resumed a soft stroke over the little boy's head when the same turned to look at him. That feeling of absolute dread was strange, the one that was pouring into his chest and tightened it until he couldn't breathe.

„Mama?"

„He definitely will be."

As Wei Ying gave him a soft smile and patted his head with gentle movements, his little son was already smiling like a sunshine as soon as the hand touched his hair. Just like he always wanted him to be, happy and not ruined by the world that was so horrible and alone.