Chapter 1: Duty

<Koleston Grand Cathedral>

"Let's begin the demonstration."

Otto Apocalypse's cold voice rang throughout the Grand Cathedral of Koleston. It encircled the proud limestone pillars and grated against the kaleidoscopic rose windows of the church altar before reaching the hesitant, twitching ears of Eleanor Schariac.

"As you command Lord Otto," Eleanor replied. Her voice was obediently thin, her silky light brown hair swayed trepidatiously. Light green garnet eyes, whose whites were veined with lines of red, trembled as they rested on the pulsating purple cube that sat on the altar's pedestal.

She took a dignified step forward. Her face was a breathtaking noble's mask that displayed the reputable composure of the Vice Captain of Koleston's Valkyries. Chilling moments passed before she entered the translucent lilac shroud that encompassed the cube. Before she knew it her hand rested upon its energy-dense surface, calling forth a core of terrible power.

"Ah, so only those with Stigmata can harness its power," Archbishop Piditas commented from his position by the altar, outside the shroud. "Your father will be pleased with your progress, lord Otto."

"Yes, the sacrifices will be worth it, Lord Otto." Bishop Viktor affirmed through his gruff goatee standing close behind the proud Archbishop. "Your genius shines again."

Their fickle flattery fell on deaf ears. Otto Apocalypse watched the process, arms folded, from the church's central aisle, the nave. He stood tall with no pride among the mahogany church pews. A serious expression occupied his symmetrical, chiseled face. Eyes of poison green narrowed into a scowl. Soft lips thin pressed tight together, formed a precious frown. Golden and long sun blonde hair, tied up in death's image, rested under his sharp jawline, just over his left shoulder.

Eleanor turned her head towards Otto expectantly. The violet core hovered ominously above her her palms. Otto registered her small-expression and the condensation on her brow. He soften his gaze and dipped his chin into a slight nod. With his dismissal, Eleanor eagerly rushed to relinquish the connection she had made with the cursed cube.

"This ends the demonstration. Report to my father that we can draw its power. I'm still researching ways we can harness it."

"As you wish Lord Otto," The Archbishop replied. The thin and short wax-skinned clergyman made a quick hand motion, rubbing his thumb over the tips of his index and middle fingers. "Only a bit of compensation is in ord-"

Crash!

The greed-filled gesture of the Archbishop was suddenly interrupted by the abrupt and violent shattering of the rose windows above the altar. Iridescent shards rained down upon the altar. The shower's razor-sharp gleaming edges threatened to shred the three who stood at the altar. But their fall was slow, much slower than the figure who rocketed down on a giant cross of red, gold, and black.

Crack!

A shockwave sent the two priests and Eleanor into the aisles of the church as Kallen Kaslana planted her heavy cross firmly on the altar's now cracked marble floor. Otto stared at her from the nave with wide eyes. Several steps before him the floored Archbishop got to his feet shakily.

"The Kaslanas they've betrayed us. Betrayed the church!" He shouted pathetically.

"Archbishop we have to get you to safety." Bishop Viktor urged, grabbing onto the frail hand.

Kallen watched as Otto did nothing to stop them from fleeing, not a word was uttered from his gaping mouth. Piercing sky blue eyes reflected disappointment and resolve as she scanned the church for the origin of sin. A moment passed before Otto finally mustered the resolve to speak.