Chapter 29 Trapped

<Paris>

Tap-tap-tap. The cane of a blind girl moved rhythmically as she made her way across the street. She was feeling quite lonely when suddenly a set of steps she memorized scurried right beside her.

"Marcus?!"

"It's been a while."
"Yes, it has been quite a while."

The loneliness in her voice was apparent and it tugged on Marcus's heartstrings.

"I'm sorry."

Heartfelt and sincere encapsulated the tone of his two words. Those who knew Marcus Apocalypse would never believe he uttered such words. But here they were, kind and amiable, towards someone who was weak in his eyes nonetheless.

"I forgive you."

A brief pause followed her fairy-like grace. The hesitation that was brief was shifted aside.

"Could you explain the reason for your absence? I know this is a breach of etiquette but I wish to know."

"Of course, I had business that prevented me from hanging around that soddy kitchen."

"Oh?"

Her soft noble voice silenced all sound around them. A short pause ensued and Marcus knew he made a mistake, his poor wording and his ease around her let him speak freely, too freely.

"No, Clarisse, it's not like that!"

"It's alright Marcus, I understand, I always thought a gentleman at your stature wouldn't waste his time in a soddy kitchen."

She tried to walk away as quickly as she could but in her haste, she bumped into a lamppost. Marcus rushed forward to catch her as she fell.

"Clarisse let me explain."

"Thank you for catching me sir but I must be on my way."

But Marcus didn't want to let go, he didn't know why he was acting this way but he knew that he had to apologize. Clarisse softly freed herself from his tender hold as Marcus panicked.

"I'm at odds with the Kaslana family."

Marcus's sudden outburst stopped Clarisse in her tracks. Those precious seconds gave Marcus pitiful hope as he continued to excuse himself.

"My family has always been on their bad side and-"

"What does that change Marcus?"

"Huh, I.."

"I thought you were one to put petty family feuds aside but I guess I thought wrong."

"Wait, Clarisse.."

He reached out for her but he couldn't reach her in the end. It started to rain as it does in the winter in Paris. For once in his soddy life, he didn't know what to think nor what he wanted.

<Vienna>

Kallen's face was taut with worry, she far outstripped her pursuers in terms of speed but every corner of the city was crawling with Valkyries and guards on high alert. The citizens too, played a role in thwarting her evasion, reporting any suspicious activity straight to the church. Vienna was locked in a state of perpetual fear. Their walls haven't been breached in two hundred years and on top of that the most wanted criminal in Europe was loose inside their city. It was ironic, the descendant of Vienna's greatest hero had brought never before seen panic and chaos into the city.

Faint shadows of elite Valkyries darted on the rooftops behind her. Kallen's advantage in verticality was slowly diminishing. But she still had her disguise, her commoner outfit, her brown hair. She just needed to find a moment to slip away and they would be hard-pressed to find her.