Chapter 16 Desires and Sins

<1st Chapel of Pairs>

"I know these are tough times but as long as you keep your virtue God's grace shall shine through. God is testing us, those that rise to do good shall lead us under him towards a brighter future. He has already forgiven you for all your sins, they won't drag you down. Stay strong and move forward, continue to do good and the prophesied future shall come. May the heavenly father watch over you all. Ite, messa est."

With those final words, Will concluded his morning Sermon. The flooded chapel started its mass exodus, as the people who stood left first. The people who sat in the church pews patiently waited for them. It was orderly, respectful, and proper, the church was soon empty save for a few people.

Cardigan watched as Will called for a guard to fetch a doctor. The common man beside Will grimaced as his hand was examined. Soon help arrived and tended to the man's wounds. He left after thanking Will. Cardigan could see the admiration and trust in the man's eyes as the man passed him. After a moment Cardigan too began to approach Will.

"Do you truly believe in what you say?"

Will looked up, he stopped clearing the altar and came face to face with a white-haired, grizzled, tall black-eyed man.

"Of course, our Lord watches over us all."

Light brown and black curiously made contact trying to assess the other.

"You seemed to be troubled my friend, is there anything you would like to confess?"

"I have my own troubles but to confess them. I won't do no such a thing."

Cardigan's expression hardened as he observed Will's reaction. His hand shifted in his pocket waiting for Will to reply.

"That's alright, the Lord is patient. He will never force you to believe in him. Neither will he withhold help just because you don't."

"You're truly different," Cardigan said slowly.

"Haha, do you take me to be a saint? I'm just a priest, a humble follower of the Heavenly Father."

"You may be selling yourself short."

"No, I'm not. May I have your name god sir?"

"It's Coleson."

Cardigan reached out his hand.

Will shook it.

"Pleasure to meet you. I'm Will. I, like anyone, have sinned. My sins are more terrible than most."

Cardigan was surprised by such honesty. 'Bianka was different too.' He thought.

"There was a time where I didn't believe in the lord. Where I was lost and I vented my troubles on people I shouldn't have."

"But, that time has passed and here you are."

"It has, but the scars left by my actions will never heal."

"Everyone carries scars."

"They shouldn't have to."

Cardigan's hand shifted in his pocket once more though his demeanor didn't change.

"Your family doesn't think the same."

Will's eyes narrowed but he didn't comment on Cardigan's knowledge.

"My house has been greedy for too long. But would you believe me if I told you there was a chance that it would change in this generation?"
"I know there was a chance. But it's gone now."

"God knows it still exists."

"In you?"

"No, I have no power in my family."