Chapter 58 Vulcan

<Lanshau>

"You look better with brown hair," Liling said. It was the day of reckoning for the budding Underground. With this operation, the team hoped to deal fatal damage to the corruption that lead it.

"I don't, it makes me look more mundane, a bit scrappy, almost rat-like." Otto scrunched his nose in disproval of his reflection. He wished it was darker. His blonde hair peeked through the wig a bit giving. From a distance, it looked like his hair was dirty blonde, a color he loathed.

"Your hair doesn't give you those features, your face does. Your unhinged, restless."

"Will that be a problem?" Otto asked a bit irritated.

"No. If all else fails I can just flatten the waste hole."

"Please just stick to the plan. We don't know their strength. Hidden experts may support them. Any large scale-"

"Yes, yes I know. You really haven't rested enough. I was only joking." Liling replied grumpily. Otto reminded her of Master Jingwei in a way. Always so quick to point out flaws in her technique or to slow her down whenever she was ready to act. It was Master Jingwei who set Liling's trial to be a long five-year reconnaissance and patrol. Mostly uneventful and extremely dull.

"Do you wish to nag me like Senior Sister?"

"Who?" Otto asked confused.

"Nevermind, a force of habit," Liling replied quickly. The senior sister she referred to preached safety above all else. She always made Liling feel like a child. Especially when she followed up Master's words with words of her own.

"Alright but remember, that the ring leader-"

"Has only one arm, is of average height, and has a plain face with low cheekbones. I know, I know. How does your wife put up with your nagging?" Liling said impatiently.

Otto sighed and spoke no more. He was ready to go and went out the door motioning for Liling to follow. If Kallen could be considered an immature adolescent, Liling could be considered a child. Winning an argument against a child was impossible and held no merit. He did not pursue the issue.

The pair set off from the Inn looking unsuitable and mismatched. The city was the same as ever bustling with business and frolicking children. None knew of the impending confrontation that was about to occur. The Crystal Leaf soon appeared in their sights a humble-looking two-story tea restaurant that hid a dark secret.

The small attendance at the restaurant pricked Otto's mind. No high-class clientele was visible in the vicinity of the restaurant. Maybe they were disguised but this had the makings of an obvious trap. But a trap in such a populated area was unideal for both sides.

Liling led the way. She wasn't her renown was nonexistent but she still drew eyes. Her sword was hidden but she had a beautiful proud figure. Her mask couldn't hide her beautiful facial features either. Despite this, no one dares make a move for her. A clear indication that no one of high status was around.

"Two seats please," Liling said.

"Right away." The waiter motioned for them to follow. "Do I need to introduce the specials?"

"No need, we'll have the stir-fried eel."

"What size?"

"As long as the circumference of a table."

"Alright follow me this way. Our Eels are in the back."

The waiter led the two out of the back of the restaurant onto the street. Otto followed behind Liling giving off the impression of a retainer, while Liling carried herself with arrogant proud steps. To the waiter, they looked the part of the clientele that were going to attend the auction. He led them to a storehouse near the restaurant, a set of steps laid before them.