Chapter 35 Hope

<Vienna>
Roxanne was desperately fighting off the numerous beasts that swarmed the city. Exhaustion and fear threatened to overwhelm her mind but she had to stay strong for the citizens of her city. The hero of the city Victoria Kaslana wretched the city away from an endless sea of Honkai beasts, cleansed them in the Holy fire of Judgment. Her descendant the Holy Maiden was sure to help defend the city too.

Roxanne's claymore was heavy in her arms but she continued to move forward and swing with all her might. Within her desire burned bright, but that's all it was. Desire will never equate to power. In the end, her sword clattered out of her hand and her shoulders slumped. Her squad was too busy to help her. The soldiers that were hastily assembled were all killed. If only she had more time to rest if they had more time to organize the city of Vienna wouldn't suffer such a bloody night.

The Templar Class Honkai beast in front of her raised its lance-like appendage to deal the final blow. In the end, Roxanne was just another sacrifice to the cause of Schicksal, its true purpose to protect humanity against Honkai. Her life flashed before her eyes desperately trying to escape a hero's fate.

Then suddenly a flash of light and the sound of thunder echoed through the battlefield as a shot pierced through the chaos of the night. It was aimed with a mix of desperation, developing skill, and luck. A man with black hair emerged from a tunnel, his sharp green eyes and fierce expression carefully assessed the situation. A few more shots were fired all hitting true to their targets and the Valkyries and soldiers within the vicinity cleared up the beasts within the area. Roxanne was the only one who witnessed the man's actions.

After a moment of rest, she picked up her sword and started to follow the man on instinct. He emerged from the tunnels that the beasts emerged from. Though his actions were beneficial and even heroic a suspicious air hung around him.

<Tunnels>

Otto clutched his hand as he walked on weakly through the tunnels. Under the direction of the voice, he navigated his way around dangerous obstacles within the tunnels. Under normal circumstances, Otto would take notice of the voice's impeccable senses that exceeded his own. He would remember that the voice should only be able to perceive what Otto's senses could perceive when hidden within his body. But those thoughts would never come up again.

'Boy a girl follows behind.'

'What? Where's she headed? How far back?'

'Thirty steps, she's following your torchlight.'

Otto sighed and turned around. He had more important things to do and more important places to be but the voice's words were misleading. A child had followed him for safety, he could not let a child wander the treacherous tunnels alone. Flickering flames soon illuminated the girl that had followed him and Otto cursed the voice. Before him, a Valkyrie, who was about Kallen's height, brandished her claymore at him.

"Who are you? Why do you wander the tunnels?"

"That's none of your concern, if you're lost I can guide you to the surface," Otto said through gritted teeth.

Roxanne's instincts sharpened, this man knew his way around the tunnels. A villain? A mastermind? Then why did he help the people? What was his goal? From what Roxanne could gather it was best if she avoided direct combat, that powerful weapon from before made her wary. Her body was also in terrible condition. Her guard was still up but she took a more passive demeanor.

"I suppose so, but if it's not too much trouble I hope you can introduce yourself."

"Name's Verse, you?"

"Rox."

Otto snorted. The exchange was pointless but Roxanne lowered her blade. But despite the peace offering the air creased lines of tension. The scent of light smoke and musty granite wafted around the pair. Otto turned and started to walk, signaling for Roxanne to follow.