Chapter 64 Restless

<Lanshau>

It was the next day. Otto and Kallen were dining in a moderately rundown restaurant. But despite its runny appearance and creaking old wood, it was full to brim with customers. A long line stretched for about a block. It was a simple dumpling house that was famous among the locals.

"It was worth the wait," Kallen said wolfing down the feast before her.

Strangers from afar admired her insatiable appetite, Otto smiled sweetly. Piling more dumplings onto her plate. A steaming basket arrived and Kallen eagerly scooped up a soup dumpling inside and ate it in one bite.

"Ah! It's hot." She exclaimed. But she wasn't too terribly affected, her body cooled it down to a safer degree, and she barely burned her tongue.

"Slow down, Kallen the food won't run away."

"You don't know that! You know I had a dream last night. That you invented a pair of legs for all the food in the world and they ran eagerly into my mouth and I enjoyed it all."

Otto raised an eyebrow Kallen's burst of speech was done with a full mouth that she covered when she spoke. It was the few manners she was subconsciously keeping around him.

"Interesting dream isn't it?"

"Beyond strange," Otto said, having no clue of what dream she spoke of.

Kallen reached for another dumpling while Otto sipped his Osmanthus tea. After last night she was noticeably in a better mood. Otto could feel that she still held a negative stigma in the air but at the very least she took the initiative to have fun and rest. She woke him up early to line up for this restaurant after all.

"How long should we stay in the city?"

"A week."

"Lan's request?"

"Yes, I want to take care of it as soon as possible. The region her family lives in has low Honkai activity so it should be a relatively safe trip."

"Then the Immortal after?"

Otto nodded. He didn't expect much from the visit but if Liling could match Kallen's peak using technique alone then it was worth the time to visit. Maybe the Immortal would impart a few secrets or teach Kallen to become stronger.

"If you can learn from her that would be for the best. I think we can trust the cube in her hands too. Liling described her master to be aloof and incorruptible." Otto said. His heart struggled to get out his next words but he had to propose his plan. "We may be separated for some time."

"What?!"

"Kallen hear me out first. The situation back at home is highly volatile."

"Which is why I can't leave you there alone."

"I've caught the Empress's eye."

"Huh?! Have you met her?"

"No, of course not."

Kallen bit her lip and stopped eating. Otto was afraid that she had fallen into depression again but contrary to what he thought Kallen was fine. Her thoughts were very serious but on another matter.

"The Emperor is shameless. She shouldn't have her eyes on what's not hers."

She spoke those words a little too loudly, the customers around them were wide-eyed. Who would dare insult the Empress in public? Otto too was stunned but he wasn't stupid. Luckily for them, a common person played off the insult.

"She's not talking about the Empress of course. The Emperor there's a difference. Remember the story of Emperor Liu? He ran across the kingdom naked on horseback trying woe women."

"Hah, I guess she must have heard the story for the first time." Another man cut in.

The matter was settled in an instant and Otto thanked the commoner with a glance. His presence proved Otto's point.

"She's not looking for my hand in marriage."

"I'll fight her if she even tries it."

"My heart only belongs to you."

"I know but she'll definitely fall for you. You're too handsome and smart and she's definitely a bit spoiled so she'll-"

"Kallen, it will never be like that. I'll run away before she could even attempt it."

He grasped Kallen's hand to comfort her and calmed her down a bit. She had become more possessive and emotional since last night. Otto wasn't sure if that was a good thing but it didn't matter too much. Her little outburst brought joy to his heart, a little jealousy was fine.

"You have to promise me."

"I promise. But, I need to see her. I can learn so much from her while you train with the immortal. Then I'll head home first and assess the situation and gather a group. Then you'll come back and we'll fix the wreck that is Schicksal and make every day as happy as last night."

It was a rough sketch of a plan, maybe it would work. But Otto knew that they both had to grow to create the world they wished live in. Kallen knew this as well.

"It's not set in stone."

"Of course not, our plan will change depending on the circumstances. But I trust you and you trust me. We'll have our justice and our world."

Kallen didn't like this plan at all. It made her realize her own weakness. It made her desire for strength grow. She became more selfish and fearful of the future. Otto blessed her with an unforgettable night. She didn't want to be separated from him anymore. Even if it was for the good of the world. That night she felt as though she had recovered what she had lost after her father's death. It was something so precious but impossible to pin down. Despite losing her faith in the Kaslana Oath, despite losing her faith in her own strength, Kallen had more to lose than ever before.

"Let's just rest first. What do you want to do today?"

"I"

Otto suddenly stopped speaking, out of the corner of his eye he saw a figure that should have not been in Lanshau. With her presence, their plan had been broken.

Otto calmly grabbed Kallen's hand and dragged her to the commoner that had spoken earlier.

"We need a way out of the city. By ferry. Can you arrange that for us?"

"Otto, you shouldn't-"

"By the afternoon, young master do you need cloaks?"

"Yes, black-haired wigs as well."

"Very well young master. Meet me by the south side of the port in an hour. For now, return to the Inn. We'll have everything ready once you get there."

The commoner exited immediately and so did a few others.

"Otto, what's going on?"

"Duchess Schariac is here."

Kallen's spirit broke as she took in the information. Why couldn't the world let them rest? The cube that hung at her side hummed softly. Everything was in place, Kallen's mental fortitude had been rocked to its most vulnerable point. She was going to become the perfect host.