Chapter 63 What Belongs To Her

<Lanshau>

"We should walk around, and get some fresh air."

"Maybe some other day."

It was a week past the date of the operation. Despite their success, Kallen had little to be happy about. Otto was safe and the victims returned to their families but Kallen played no part in their success.

"Sulking is not equivalent to resting. Please, Kallen, the city is in a festive mood, think of all the rare delicacies we'll miss out on."

"Food?"

Otto nodded patiently, the past few days were slow for him. Kallen felt more distant than ever. It hurt him to see her this way. He tried his best to cheer her up. He read her interesting stories and tried new food with her. But Kallen only responded with light fleeting smiles before retreating to her shell.

To Otto's delight, she agreed to explore the nightlife of Lanshau with him. She got out of bed and straightened her messy hair.

"Alright. Let's go."

"Wait. I can't have you go out in that and you need to wash up."

"Oh, ok."

Kallen's complacent reaction worried Otto but he had gotten used to some of her depressive moods. After they failed to start a rebellion, Kallen was reasonably upset but she would always cheer up when they had time to rest. It wasn't like her to act so hopelessly. She didn't talk about the future with him anymore.

Kallen entered their bathroom and dipped herself into the bath Otto had prepared for her. From a quick peek out the window Kallen could tell that it was two hours from sundown. She sighed. How could she not see the effort Otto put into this night?

He was prepared to talk with her for hours to get her to attend this night's festival, whatever it was. Kallen couldn't help but feel thaeally didn't deserve him. He always went above and beyond to make her happy.

Kallen cleansed herself thoroughly, since Otto was doing so much for her she should at the very least take his words to heart. She left the bath feeling refreshed and excited for the night to come. After she dried herself and did her hair Kallen looked back at the steaming hot bath water.

'I should try my best. Just like I always have.' She thought.

She dipped her fingers into the pool and concentrated the ambient Honkai around her into her hand. Activating her powers was like drawing a spear from the Oath of Judah. The only difference was the path Honkai energy flowed. Her body was the medium and it was a very slow medium.

'It's still the same as before.'

Her newfound powers barely saw improvement. She couldn't use them in combat on command. Otto had told her that they peaked when she was most emotional. At the peak of her strength, she was able to conjure a storm of frost and cold. Her powers were useless. What's the point of a power that is only activated at the moment where all was lost?

Kallen exited the bathroom to find Otto waiting outside patiently. He had a modest but dashing Chinese tunic with fewer folds than normal. It was pearly white with beige and golden accents. His coat was much the same save for the black collar. He was also wearing a dark undershirt she could barely see. The outfit paired well with his following blonde hair.

"You're really trying to seduce me tonight."

"How well am I doing?"

Otto grabbed Kallen's hand and lead her to another room.

"You," Kallen's eyes swept across the room and her depression was lifted. It was replaced by a horror she had not felt since Cologne. "Are doing terrible. Absolutely terrible."