Chapter 49 Irony

<Lanshau Outskirts>

A haggard couple trenched through the terraced terrain. Despite their snug wear, one of them couldn't stop shivering. Traversing through the northern regions of Shenzhou at the end of winter was a treacherous task. Snow and sleet blew across their animal tufts gifted by the guild. But luckily for the pair, the sun gifted rays of clarity through the murky haze allowing them to stay, for the most part, on track.

"W-We should be there soon. I-I t-think-k that's the-the."

"Save your breath," Kallen replied. Her worry manifested itself in the manner she talked. Unlike Otto, she was less affected by the cold.

Ever since she woke up her body had been undergoing a metamorphosis. Before Otto's cataclysmic incident Kallen's body reached a peak she never experienced before. Even without the Oath of Judah, she was able to contend with the Head of Schariac family and the Third. Though they were more powerful than she anticipated, the main reason she lost was due to her recklessness. Luck played a part too. Impeccable timing stopped her from landing the finishing blow against her foes. In a fight with no other variables, Kallen was confident that she could wipe the floor with the two. But that was all in past.

Kallen could only feel frustration at the slow recovery of her internal injuries. The only time she suffered such injuries was during her bout with the Celestial. Otto cared for her as best he could but they didn't have access to all the medicine required to treat her wounds. Medicine that Otto himself developed. The lack of makeshift care along with the stress of traveling through a Honkai-infested winter land slowed her recovery significantly. She shouldn't be exerting herself in this manner, she shouldn't be fighting Honkai where ever she found it. A few incidents with low-level Honkai Beasts left her spent. Somehow with Otto by her side, she was able to push through, but she wouldn't listen to his pleas for her to slow down. Her desire for strength grew impatient, allowing thoughts to influence her mind giving leverage to the cube she wanted to seal away.

"W-w-we'll rest i-in the city. O-ok? T-take pr-proper time to recover."

Otto's shaky breath didn't match his expression. It carried a ruler's authority that Kallen had never seen manifest within her Gifted Inventor. But it came from a benevolent place. In those caring but resolute eyes, she saw a hint of her father's strength. Parallels between her father and Otto never manifested themselves before. At least not in Kallen's memory. Besides, the two were completely different people. Her father was an outgoing, brash knight. Otto was her collected, genius inventor. When the two images overlapped Kallen had no choice but to listen.

"A few days."

"A month."

"A week and a half."

"Two weeks."

"A- no two weeks is fine."

Otto nodded and withdrew his fierce expression which morphed into a moderate but sophisticated sneeze. He was content with his progress. The sudden change made Kallen's emotions flutter. He sneezed very handsomely, cute even. That transition from authority to serenity was so seamless and refined. Otto wasn't like her father at all, her father could never be so elegant.

"Maybe three."

Kallen removed her weathered fur coat and in one swift motion, she wrapped Otto in its warmth. A coat that was a few sizes too small for Otto overlapped the one he already wore. He soon became a tight coat bear.

"K-Kallen?! No, you have to stay warm too. Don't forget you're injured."
"You don't have to remind me. But even if injured I'm still much stronger than you."

"I..forget it we've had this conversation before."

"Yes, back when we fell into that river on the way home."