Chapter 6 A Loss

<Forest>

Kallen woke up to a smokey smell. Otto was waving a sandwich in front of her nose. The sandwich consisted of wild vegetables, wild herbs, and small strips of smoked boar Otto had prepared overnight. Otto tried to rouse Kallen by gently nudging her cheek but that didn't work. He tried to shake her awake but she wouldn't even budge. It was a good sign for Otto though he didn't know it.

For the first time in a long while Kallen felt at peace and comfortable. Though their situation was far from ideal she accomplished two of her goals she had set ever since she discovered Otto's experiments. She had taken the cube from Shicksal and prevented her friend from venturing down the wrong path. When her whole world flipped upside down Kallen felt powerless. The organization she believed in was corrupt, the common people around her suffered while she couldn't do anything, and her most trusted friend turned out to be a liar. Kallen still felt deeply hurt. She found solace in the faith of the Kaslana's, but that solace was easily shattered by her attempt to kill Otto. Her faith was tested once more as she felt powerless to accomplish the task her father whispered from beyond the grave.

Surprisingly it was Vera who offered the solution to her woes, to whisk Otto away. Kallen did just that, though she had a nagging feeling in the back of her head. Surely she could have taken Otto in a more discreet fashion, surely she could have kept her cool. Though Kallen had attributed her actions and emotions to discovery of the events prior she couldn't help but doubt her own emotions. Kallen gave this doubt little thought as soon as Otto awoke in the abandoned barn. For once in her life she felt as though she had some control of the future. Taking Otto away gave her power when she had none.

"Good morning Kallen." Otto said with a tired smile.

Kallen sat up blinking, her droopy eyes focused on the food in front of her. She took a bite out of the sandwich while Otto still held it. Otto felt exasperation invade his expression, of course the first thing that works when Kallen wakes up is her stomach. As she chewed the food slowly she began to gather her senses. She was slow to wake, she normally woke up easily. Her two hands then took the sandwich out of Otto's hands as he took the blanket Kallen wrapped herself in. After patting down any leaves or dirt off the blanket, he wrapped the rest of smoked boar, bread, with the blanket. He kept the knife and flint and steel in his pocket while hoisting the two water bottles to his belt.

Soon Kallen was fully awake and after brushing her clothes off the two broke camp and left for the bridge.

<The Bridge>

"So what do you plan to do after we break through the blockade Kallen?"

"We'll seek out the guardian that bested me, she should have some idea of what the black box is."

"I thought you wanted to seal it."
"I do but I feel as though I can trust her with it. She'll know what to do with it. Besides she...."

"She?"

"Nevermind, but aren't you at least curious as to who she really is?"

Otto was silent, he pretended to be in thought. Kallen never hid her thoughts. Was he being too intruding? What was his purpose here? To take care of Kallen? She was already leagues stronger than him in combat and if she wanted to go save someone he wouldn't be able to stop her. Otto wanted to go back, develop something that could remove her responsibility for her. What was she going to do after she sealed the box? Take on Shicksal?

These thoughts coursed through Otto's mind as a different set of thoughts coursed through Kallen's mind. After we seal the box, I'll work on Otto. I'll find out where he went wrong and fix him somehow.

While Otto thought of many steps into the future Kallen thought about one. Otto wanted to prepare for every possible situation while Kallen wanted to take on every situation as they appeared. She was confident in her power and thought she could always sacrifice herself to save the world. A belief passed down by blood, a belief Otto hated to the core. He had learned long ago she wouldn't stay alive for him or anyone so he had resolved to save the world before Kallen could kill herself.