Chapter 2 Shield of the People

<Koleston Great Cathedral>

"Master Otto! Master Otto!" A voice called for him urgently, in the empty halls of the Great Cathedral. It was three in the morning and the aftermath of yesterday's spectacle had not been cleaned up yet. A large lab capsule contained the corpse of Eleanor Schariac. At first glance the injuries on her body were not very apparent but if one looked more closely one could see the indentation of chains. The hole Otto had fired through her chest was no longer there but Otto didn't seem to notice. He was lost in thought as contemplated the events that occurred the night before. Doubt filled his being as he wondered if the path he had chosen would yield the results he desired.

"Master Otto! Master Otto!" Vera called out once more this time she waved her hands in front of Otto's downcast eyes that were lost in deep thought. Vera had an adorable appearance. Her violet eyes perfectly complemented her silver hair that tied into two twin tails. A gentle face and long lashes aligned with her bright but perceptive personality. Five years ago Kallen had brought back Vera from one of her excursions as the Holy Maiden of Shicksal. She found her wandering the ruins of an abandoned temple in Greece. A village near the ruins had been wiped out by a horde of Honkai beasts a few days prior to Kallen's arrival. Out of pity and kindness from the bottom of her heart she brought Vera back to Koleston.

Vera was eight at the time, she had spent her early years in the village orphanage. While the conditions weren't terrible Vera was only taught how to clean and cook by the very old nun that ran the orphanage. There were no other children besides Vera within the orphanage so after her daily chores were finished she would climb to the roof of the orphanage to enviously watch the lives of the children of the village. She longed for a family, for someone to take care of her. From constant observation Vera developed a knack for reading and understanding people. She wanted to test her observations and one day decided to interact with the village children that ignored her. But before she could make the first steps towards her own happiness a small horde of Honkai beasts appeared in the village killing everyone in sight. The old nun sprung into action, she quickly found Vera and wrapped a blanket around her. The nun instructed Vera to run for the abandoned temple. The nun grabbed an old spear hidden beneath a bench and headed out to fight against the beasts. Vera didn't know what happened to the old nun, she didn't mistreat Vera but she didn't shower her with love either. But she was thankful to the nun, for now four years later she had found her family.

When Kallen arrived back in Koleston with Vera in tow she immediately brought her fragile figure to Otto. Otto, who understood Kallen's intent, took Vera in as his own little sister. He taught her to read and write, he let her decide her own futured, and showered her with brotherly love. Vera didn't know why he did it, it was hard to understand her big brother at times, but she was grateful nonetheless. All she knew was that she was happy and taken care of. Kallen, whom she regarded as her elder sister, dropped in from time to time and even taught her how to fight. Vera's admiration for her brother and sister only grew as she learned more about them. Otto was a great scientist who worked hard to better the lives of the people while Kallen was the Holy Maiden, Shicksal's most powerful Valkyrie that stood against the Honkai. Vera wanted to become a Valkyrie just like Kallen but was rejected due to the lack of stigmata. She instead settled to be a bishop guard for her brother. In recent years she worked hard and climbed the ranks of the guard to finally be able to stand beside her brother.

Vera shook Otto lightly and snapped him out of his trance. "Oh Vera? You're here?! Please be a dear and guard the transport of Eleanor's ...." Vera could see the conflict within her brother. His struggle to respond indicated to her that he was rather distraught at the situation. To Vera it would be strange if he wasn't wearing that sad expression on his face. Otto was the kindest person in the world in her mind. "Of course, Master Otto, I'm on it." Vera quickly left the chapel carrying the lab capsule that contained Eleanor's corpse. Although Vera didn't have a stigmata she was blessed with inhuman strength. Otto assumed it had to do with her genetics but he would never experiment on her to find out.