Chapter 26 Preparations

<Cain's Office>

Over a month has passed since Cain had sent Fredrick over to seduce the daughter of the Fienre family. Yet in that period of time, he had not received one letter of the status of the progress of his nephew. Perhaps the Lance of Paris was too much for Fred, but it was in every playboy's heart to face challenges. Cain would know, after all, he spent his younger days charming women. He had long abandoned his tendencies, age, maturity, and loss made him into the man he was today. He recalled those days with bitter regret, he wished he never developed such antics and spent as much time as he could with her.

But that thought was quickly erased as he reached the middle of his pile of letters. Frederick had finally sent a letter.

Dear Uncle,

I appreciate the opportunity you presented me to find a much-needed partner. We're taking it slow but our engagement will not happen anytime soon. I would also like to remind you that unlike your younger self I don't indulge in the vulgar practice of thinking with my third leg and I'd appreciate it if you didn't spread or entertain false rumors. Do you forget who my mother is? Your sister? I think the Kaslana family line of brainless, lost causes ended with you. Uncle Francis would agree with my assessment I'm sure. But other than that I have to express my deepest gratitude for sending me to Paris.

Your Nephew,

Frederick Kaslana

P.S. Don't send me any work for the next six months. Adrie and I plan to spend some quality time together. Also please go outside and touch some grass.

Cain read the letter once more. His nephew was so insolent. A half-year of leave? How preposterous?! Cain felt the veins in his temple pop. He had a rather productive morning and his business was growing. Wealth and political influence he was acquired at a steady pace and most important of all he was alleviating the problems of the people within the empire. His Kaslana pride glowed noble blue as he read reports of famines ended and towns returning to some sort of norm.

He planned to establish new guilds and businesses aimed towards providing more than just food for the people. Jobs, shelters, infrastructure he wanted to do it all. Though those projects would probably never be finished in his lifetime or the lifetime of his successor, he was content to start them.

His nephew soured the mood and Cain was tempted to recall Fred but stopped short of writing such a letter. His face softened, as remembered his special someone. He sighed and wrote a simple letter entailing a heartfelt message.

Dear Fred,

Take the year off. Good Luck!

Your Uncle,

Cain Kaslana

His brow creased and his fingers flipped the letter into an envelope with a magician's sleight of hand. He rang his bell.

"You called Sir?"

"Please send this to my nephew."

As the maid rushed away to deliver the letter of utmost importance Cain felt something was wrong with Fred's letter but he couldn't pin down what it was.

<Paris>

Will was enjoying his afternoon off. It was raining heavily but that didn't stop him from dining out at a local cafe. His umbrella hung from his arm as he sipped his coffee with royal dignity. Paris was beautiful in the rain and Will planned to walk its dripping streets that night.

"You're always so pretentiously formal."

Will's eyes sharpened as he felt an unwelcome presence intrude on his afternoon joy.