Chapter 48 Future

Chapter 48

<Inn>

Otto's skin was shining, and the newfound scents and herbs complimented his body well. Never in his life had he had a more cleansing and relaxing shower. It washed away his guilt in ways Kallen could never. In the end, he couldn't confess all his sins to Kallen.

'Kallen let's focus on you first, when it's all over maybe I'll confess everything.' Otto thought.

He lifted himself out of the shower with ease. Otto's strength had been steadily increasing, a result of necessity and stress. He grew two and a half centimeters taller. It was strange, despite the worse conditions and the stress on his mind Otto's body was improving to the point where he judged that he no longer needed medication to function to his fullest. He still had a weak constitution nothing could change that but his body seemed to adapt to the environment.

"Took you long enough."

"My apologies."

Otto ran a hand through his golden, wet hair. He grew it out and since they no longer traveled within the vicinity of Europe they had little use for disguises. He looked much more vibrant than before.

"You - nevermind."

Kallen was flabbergasted by Otto's beauty, his handsome features that enhanced the dip he had just taken. Eye candy, sweet, that's what Kallen gleaned from his appearance. The tunic made him look even more exotic. Kallen was excited by his clean youthful appearance which was in stark contrast to the dirtied appearance she had grown accustomed to in the past month.

"Huh?"

Otto turned his head towards her only to be struck by the same sense of wonder that engulfed Kallen. Her silky snow-white hair had dried a bit and fell loosely around her shoulders. She too let her hair grow and it reached a bit past her shoulders. The bottom portion of her hair was still dyed brown. Her eyes glowed with divine starry light. Her skin was so fair, like jade. She was a celestial fairy before him.

Despite their failures, they could never descend into the abyss as long as they were by each other's side. A peaceful setting, a place to rest would always rekindle the spark of hope within their hearts. Seeing each other so vibrantly healthy and at peace was all they needed.

They stood in a shy silence that they haven't felt for a long time. They could be bashful at this moment, under the shelter of a luxurious Inn. Now it was a waiting game, they ogled at each other with tender yet ravenous eyes. Kallen started to turn away in shame for imagining such moments in her head. But Otto reached out and pulled her to his side.

"You make this world beautiful."

A truthful yet simple line made Kallen's face flush even more but she rested her head against his shoulder. They walked side by side down the hall towards their room the waiter had instructed them to take.

"We will invent great things," Kallen said. She took Otto's hand, grasping it firmly and gently.

A scuttle from down the hall brought the pair back down to reality. This was no vacation maybe some other time. The waiter approached the pair with a more accommodating smile. He too was charmed by their appearances. They were too beautiful to be fighting against the beasts. Too beautiful to be mercenaries. They were the two of the brightest stars in the night sky.

"The boss will see you two now."

A polite bow and another refined gesture led the pair to the top floor of the Inn. It had fewer doors, and fewer rooms. But the design and details of the walls and the smooth floor made the place seem inexplicably expansive. Otto and Kallen took in a new culture with a bit of awe and wonder. They soon came face to face with the boss of the Inn.