Chapter 37 Premonitions

<Vienna>

"You're!"

Kallen protectively clutched Otto and she accidentally forced a light groan to escape from his sleeping lips. Worried, both Roxanne and Kallen turned their attention to Otto. It was at this point Kallen took notice of Otto's bandages and his pale face.

"What happened? How did he-What did you do to him?!"

Her accusatory eyes sprayed malice towards Roxanne who raised her arms in surrender. The bag of supplies dropped to the ground.

"No it's not like that, he attained those injuries fighting for the people. He saved my life twice last night. I met him by chance after he fired his gun to assist from afar. I followed him through the tunnels. When the fighting was over he insisted on treating the injured and that's how we ended up here."

Kallen was unconvinced, but Roxanne continued.

"I can get you two out of the city. Last night remember the warehouse you were that nun, weren't you? You said to see what I believe and I believe in your cause."

Confusion flitted along Kallen's face, she recognized Roxanne as her stand-in. Not from the warehouse. Kallen had actually talked with quite a few Valkyries about the state of the church. She couldn't remember their faces under the light of the full moon. Kallen's guard waned a bit and she focused her attention on Otto once more.

"Then I owe you a debt of gratitude then. For protecting him."

"No, not at all he was inspiring for the people he ignored his own injuries and moved about the city tending to every person he could find. He truly is a hero."

Kallen's heart continued to soften from Roxanne's admiration. But a darker feeling specked up inside of her. Roxanne's words stirred a few sparks of anger within Kallen's heart. She didn't know who or what she was angry at.

"He is my Great Inventor."

Kallen's embrace tightened snuggly. She was a child and Otto was her giant teddy bear, which she would never let go of. Possessive body language caused Roxanne to laugh. Roxanne who was nearly thirty had forgotten how young the two were, they were not yet twenty. She never even considered that love was another factor that forced the two to flee from the church.

'They're a perfect match, I hope fate is kind to them.' Roxanne thought.

After Roxanne ceased her laughter, she passed over the bag of supplies to Kallen.

"It contains the basics: medicine, food, money. You can exit from the east gate, I have a friend who has a shift there later tonight. His name is Arthur, just say Roxanne sent you and he'll let you through."

Kallen gingerly accepted the supplies, barely comprehending Roxanne's cooperation. What had Otto said to her to get such help? Regardless, Kallen was grateful but still discontent. Otto had come out of this ordeal, injured and exhausted. The people of Vienna had suffered an untold nightmare. She was unable to save everyone, she was weak.

"Thank you, I don't mean to ask for more but a place to stay would be appreciated."

Kallen directed Roxanne's attention to Otto.

"Of course, yes how rude of me. I have a place that I normally rent out but my latest tenants had moved out so I guess you two can rest up there. Though I will say try to keep everything as cleanly as possible, blood is fine but other fluids are rather irksome to clean."

Kallen piggybacked Otto once more. Her face was blushing from Roxanne's words.

"We'll keep that in mind."