Chapter 62 The Cracks On The Shell

<Lanshau Inn>

Kallen woke up feeling terrible. Pain pulsed throughout her body like a quake, and her stomach was its epicenter. Bandages irritated her skin. The blankets that covered her felt like they were filled with lead. Her hand was caught up in something. Something soft, warm, and comforting. She turned her head to see Otto kneeling by her bed head rested against the soft sheets clutching her hand.

The ring of promise glistened on his finger. It compelled Kallen to check for her ring and she found it nestled in her bosom, on the necklace that was thankfully wrapped around her neck. Kallen wanted to observe Otto's sleeping face for a bit. He held a worried expression that hid nothing from her. She could see his love and fear in the stress lines on his brow, on the folds of his eyes lids.

But as luck would have it Otto started to stir awake once he sensed Kallen had awakened. He spent three days by her side. His own condition wasn't much better than Kallen's but he didn't care. Kallen always came first.

"Otto." Kallen started softly.

"Kallen?! Are you alright? How are you feeling? Does it hurt anywhere?"

He didn't let go of her hand and she made no attempt to separate from it. For the both of them, it confirmed that this moment was real and that above all they were safe. But the moment was far from joyous.

"I'm fine Otto. What about the children, the victims? Are they alright?"

"They're fine Kallen but you should worry about yourself. You never worry enough about yourself."

A sad expression followed Otto's ironic words. Kallen's eyes couldn't help but tremor as she took in the full brunt of Otto's condition. His entire body was bandaged like a mummy. Only his face had visible skin. He wasn't even wearing a shirt. Kallen could see bumps that weren't just muscles and dark spots that indicated blood loss. She gritted her teeth in anger.

"And you should take care of yourself."

Otto took in her angry expression, inwardly he felt touched but also guilty. Just as much as he worried for her well-being she worried for his. But he got hurt to save her.

"I'm sorry. But I couldn't let them hurt you. I had to save you."

"I didn't need saving."

A silence stopped the flow of the conversation. Otto had his suspicions but he didn't explore them. He was aware of the aftermath of the auction but he didn't ponder the details. What mattered most was Kallen's health and safety, he didn't think of anything else. How did Kallen escape on her own? How did Kallen get captured?

"Then-"

"I had a plan of my own."

Guilt steeped into her voice but at the moment she still believed in herself. She believed in her plan that Otto would never approve of.

"Then was being captured part of your plan?"

Otto's voice wasn't as warm as before. Kallen's ear pricked, recognizing an emotion she thought he didn't have, anger.

"Yes, I was going to be sold. To a leading part of the organization and tear it down from the top. It would have worked. I was strong enough." Kallen said.

"You didn't need to interfere." Kallen hesitantly added.

Otto let go of her hand. She instinctively reached out for it but Otto did not let her feel his warmth. He pulled up a chair by the bedside and sat down while pondering this newfound information.

"It wouldn't have worked." He said plainly. His voice was neutral but his expression was cold.

"It would-"