Chapter 22 Saints

<Inn Reception Desk>

The jingle of coins could be heard echoing throughout the empty inn. A blonde man approached the front of the inn, juggling a bag of coins. Otto had forgotten his wig in his haste to secure a safe place for the children.

"May I help you, sir?"

For a moment the receptionist was confused, but that moment quickly passed once he saw Otto's green eyes. They were unique, to say the least.

"Yes, about the children. I would like to pay for their stay."
"Sorry, sir but for the matter of allowing children to stay, well it's best if left up to the owner."

"But you're the owner."

A pause, a look, indifferent eye contact, then a sigh. The receptionist was the first to break the line of sight.

"What gave me away?"

"Nothing in particular."

"You jest, there must have been something that tipped you off."

Friendly banter, a genuine branch of equality, Otto accepted it. Perhaps he made a new friend, perhaps not. Otto conceded to the smiling receptionist, a smile that was good-natured but held back some pain.

"Your caliber of service is too high. A man of your capabilities costs a lot to keep as an employee. If you can't afford workers, why pay for a high-end receptionist?"

"Ah sound reasoning, you seem to be a man of good study. Surely you can find somewhere else for the children to stay?"

"I would if I could."

"Running from the church are we?"

"Will you report us?"

"Heavens no, never did I think I would house two saints within my Inn."

Otto's ears twitched at the compliment. He did not particularly like to be called a saint.

"So will you take them in?"

"Perhaps."

In truth, the owner of the inn was a charitable man. He kept out of the way of others while helping those he could. But he was getting old and his inn struggled to stay afloat. The tavern restaurant was lively during certain nights, but his regulars could no longer afford to come every night. The jovial atmosphere tanked and so did the financial situation of the Inn. It was due to his reputation, his charity that some locals volunteered to help out. To dust the room or serve tables. His wife worked the kitchen along with some chefs. They were paid of course. With indulgences draining his money and a low influx of customers he was afraid the inn would soon close. Children were expensive and they were frail, the owner couldn't bear to put them to work.

"You're financial woes, I'll subsidize them."

"I would expect no less from a saint."

The innkeeper said those words slowly, fatigue rolled into relief. Generosity was a scant resource in these times. Otto didn't respond and the Innkeeper continued.

"How far has Schicksal fallen for both of its saints to flee from it?"

Otto selected choice words, he was stiff and he didn't know why. Was it guilt? Towards this man? Surely not. Everything he had done was for Kallen's sake, though his actions garnered him some regret.

"Not beyond repair."

"Is it faith?"

"No. It's knowledge."

It was the Innkeeper's turn to fall silent. Faith in God, that's what the church promoted, faith that has kept it just for many generations. But, the saint before him knew but didn't believe. Was he a prophet?