Chapter 18 The First Ripples

<Cologne Main Chapel Square>

The two tall spires of the Chapel stood high into the cloudy sky. A peacefully light gray cloudy sky that prophesied the coming of winter. So blanketed and warm, so wooly and safe. In stark contrast the troops below marched on the church, decked in full armor. Tensions were high and Valkyries aligned on opposite sides of the square to face off.

The high priest stood in front of the grand chapel doors, which like the rest of the church had been eroded to a damp dark state. A perfect representation of what went on inside the church.

"Louis Schariac, turn away your forces now and the church can forgive you for your sins otherwise God shall smite you down."

There was no answer, of all the places for Louis to be he wouldn't be at the scene of a potential battle. He was a normal human, a liability in battle, and an unrivaled asset in the office.

"Louis! Louis!"

"He isn't here! He does not need to dirty his hands for the likes of you."

"Insolence, do you have any idea what you'll start? Brave soldiers and Valkyries of the city of Cologne, the church will forgive you if you take the side of the righteous. Bring me Louis Schariac, he must be tried."

There was no movement, even the Valkyries loyal to the church hesitated at those words. They tightened their grips and gritted their teeth. Why Schicksal sent an incompetent fool to run the church in Cologne was anyone's guess. But it had to do with connections and power; the Overseer had his own circle of allies and powerful friends. Though the kings of Europe had become figureheads, the dukedoms, and marquises of the various Kingdoms were cunning and powerful. Making allies with the church while they still had competent heirs was beneficial for both parties.

The church was outnumbered ten to one and the faith of the Valkyries had already faltered to a weak degree. Who wanted to take orders from incompetent leaders? Especially when it involved their own life.

"Surrender," Sebastian said coolly. His sharp voice was chilling, and his black eyes and black hair gave him the look of death.

It was enough for one Valkyrie of the church who dropped her weapon and gave up.

"What are you doing?! This is treason! You kill her!"

Poorly chosen words caused the rest of the Valkyries to drop their weapons and surrender.

"Stop, defend the church of God in my name. Pick up your weapons and fight."

The Valkyries made their way to the opposing side of the square straight into the shackles of the Schariac family. They weren't going to die for a cause that had lost its meaning, besides, the Schariac family had given adequate reason and proof to arrest the officials of the church. No matter how much power the high priest had, he had committed the crime of harboring the Holy Maiden. The traitor who brought hard times among the people of Europe.

"It's over. Arrest the priest and free the prisoners."

A storm of footsteps marched through the church and its underways. They've found everything, people locked in cages, corpses being experimented on, and everything else on the list.

The common folk watched as the Schariac family marched out of the church with unholy objects and barebones people. This was the effect Louis wanted. He smeared the name of the church and the Golden child of the Apocalypse family without drawing the wrath of the church. Tensions were sure to increase but he was prepared for all the church could throw at him. The church was spread thin, slowly withdrawing troops from the front lines, enforcing an unjust policy, and scheming to take control of Europe. They had to give up two of their goals to deal with Louis.