0.00

"Only fools rush in"

。.✦ ☾

A few days later.

At the enrollment facility. The room was white and sterile, it smelt like bleach, it was almost sickening.

"O'Connel, Michael. Kaminsky, Henry." The 4F doctor calls, he stood at the open door past the hall, his hair was swept to the side and greased down. He wore a white cloak that stopped past his thighs, it ran a bit big on him.

"Boy, a lot of guys getting killed over there." Steve says, sighing, he knew in his heart that if he was out there, things might be different.

"Rogers, Steven." The 4F doctor calls, his eyebags seemed to shadow more as they take in Steve small form.

Steve puts down the newspaper he was reading, a bright look in his eyes, excited for his new start. "It kind of makes you think twice about enlisting, huh?" The enlistment guy ask

"Nope." Steve says

He's wanted this since he was a kid.

....

1925.

A young blond and brunette were huddled together, staring up at the stars, admiring the constellations. The small blond looks back down at a piece of paper. "Look." He breaths, making the brunette look down. "The bear star." The brunette whispers

"It's so beautiful Sloan." Steve whispers, eyes glowing, a smile on his thin lips.

Sloan smiles. "It is." Sloan whispers back, smoothing the paper straight. Steve peers over across the horizon. "Do you ever think about dad?" Steve asks, his mind wondering.

Sloan looks at him confused, what brought this on. "I think about dad a lot, about him fighting the war. I want to be like him, I want to protect our country." Steve says

Sloan shakes his head. "Not without me." Sloan pokes, pressing his fingers into Steve's side, making the seven year old slap his hands away, laughing.

....

1943.

Steve is standing half naked in front of a doctor as he examines him for enlistment. His chest was pale and scrawny, his arms like twigs. Twinges of green and purple color his chest.

"Rogers. What did your father die of?" The 4F doctor asks "Mustard gas. He was in the hundred and seventh infantry. I was hoping I could be assigned..." Steve asks, tilting his head to the side, hopeful.

"Your mother?" The 4F doctor asks, looking bored and a bit frustrated. "She was a nurse in a TB ward. Got hit, couldn't shake it." Steve says "your siblings?" The doctor asks "just one brother, he's a teacher." Steve says

The doctor looks at Steve's file which shows he has a long list of health issues. "Sorry, son." The 4F doctor says "Look, just give me a chance." Steve begs softly.