15

April 5th, 2020

This is a prepaid debit call from Jermaine Patterson, an inmate at the * Department of Corrections. To accept this call press 0. To refuse this call hang up or press 1. To prevent calls for this facility, press 9.

"Hello ?"

"Hello !" I smiled.

"Wendy ! It's good to finally hear your voice ! How you doin ?"

"Good, thank you. I-"

I'm interrupted by some noise on his side.

"Ayo lower y'all voices." Jay said. "Wendy ? I'm sorry, there is a lot of people around me. Can you hear me ?"

"Not really actually. But maybe you can-"

My voice is suddenly covered by laughs.

"Yo I can't hear her !" Jay raised his now deeper voice, making me bite my lips. That's sexy.

"Jay ?"

"Can I call you at a more appropriate moment ?" He asked.

"Yes of course."

"Alright thanks. Talk to you later."

I spend the rest of this Sunday studying since there is nothing else to do. The lockdown is getting really hard.

²

I'm lowkey pissed I couldn't hear you babe over all the "bs" that was going on behind me. I'll make sure to grab a different phone so we can actually have a convo ! But I enjoyed hearing your voice babe :-)

April 17th, 2020

It's been exactly one month since the beginning of the lockdown and I just can't take it anymore. I have nobody that I can talk to on the daily to share my feelings and emotions. Of course you could ask me "What about Jay ?". Well I don't know. I know we're somehow official but venting is not something easy to do, even to your partner or close friend. I feel so lonely and I miss my family.

The only thing that helps me is the new hobby I discovered. I'm learning how to create a website so I can create my own blog. The idea is to do interviews and publish them on my own platform. That would allow me to decide who I want to work with, what type of content I want to share and most importantly how to promote myself. It's like being a journalist but with a bit of digital marketing.

I would mostly focus on musicians because music is something really important in my life, but if I can level up and discuss televison and sports, well that would be amazing. This lockdown makes me realize that I don't like the course I'm into. Economics and management are nice to learn but I don't see myself in this field in the future.

I don't regret it though. The opportunity of studying in France helped me improve my French language skills. It also exposes me to a new culture and that's probably the greatest thing you can experience when living in a foreign country. But I think it's time for me to start a new chapter of my life and be who I truly want to be.

April 18th, 2020
11 pm

Jay and I have exchanged a couple of messages since our last call but due to Covid restrictions, he hasn't been able to call me. Today is the day he can call and I just can't wait.

This is a prepaid debit call from Jermaine Patterson, an inmate at the * Department of Corrections. To accept this call press 0. To refuse this call hang up or press 1. To prevent calls for this facility, press 9.