chapter two: starstruck

It had only been two damned days into the semester and I was already out of my head. Just three months prior I had packed it all and left Spain.

I had grown quite accustomed to my new life. At first it was hard, just with the social changes and everything, but I grew comfortable.

I had spent the entire summer marveling at the wonders that little Lake Placid had to offer. The boat rides, town markets, and the distant city lights, too.

The night life has much to offer as well. Being a town built around a heavily transited road, we have all types of people stopping by to drink their sorrows at The Pub. I found myself regularly taking the short walk—void of the fear of being alone in the woods. I learned to embrace this way of life.

There's one specific day that I remember being my favorite of the summer.

Fourth of July.

My father hosted the neighborhood party at our house. I was less than a month in of being there, and I didn't really have any hopes of enjoying myself.

"Pass me the extension chord," My father strung lights through the pine trees in our yard while standing on a ladder. Me, dreading the party, lazily tossed the cable over. He somehow sensed it. "Come on, you'll have fun. Cheer up! Declan's bringing some of his friends, maybe you'll make a few."

Something about his words aggravated me. I felt like a little girl. I hated being put into the position of the new girl who had to look for new friends.

Speaking of which, ever since I'd arrived, I ghosted everyone from back home. Even my best friend Irene, who's probably been worried sick.

Who's to say when we'll meet again.

I sighed stormed away, into the seclusion of my room.

I was lying in bed for a few moments in silence before recalling the existence of the one woman who was still on my mind.

Lizzy.

I still had the photograph, but it laid hidden in my nightstand. So, I pulled it out and smiled like every other time.

I swear I'm not going crazy.

Part of me really hoped that the news would somehow reach her that we were having a party and that I'd see her again, wherever it was that she lived.

The thought of that greatly improved my mood, so I headed down again and began to help my father.

talk about delusion

About an hour after we'd finished organizing everything from the food, decorations, and the bonfire, the first few people started showing up. I didn't pay mind to them, as it was mostly just the boring, older neighbors.

My father tried to force me to introduce myself the first few times, but he sensed my dismay and stopped bothering by the third family.

No one interesting, young, or appealing had shown up, not even Declan. I was getting bored. No one had brought any booze yet either, and my father wasn't an avid drinker, so there was nothing at home.

So, I just barely made it the first two hours dry until Declan finally arrived with a truckbed of drinks. A few friends as well.

"Hey, you made it!" My father yelled out, working the grill.

"I'd never miss it-" Declan hopped into the truck bed as people began to crowd around it to try and get anything he had to offer. "Hey, help me out here." He yelled to me. I smiled as I started walking. We had become quite close. He helped me up and we began to unload everything. "Don't tell anyone, but I left the good shit for us up front." He whispered over.