chapter four: call me lana

"I'd love to." I said, relieved that she had the guts to take action on what both of us wanted from the very beginning.

To say I wanted to spend eternity listening to her stories would be an understatement.

We made it out and I followed her back to her truck, she drove a black one parked in the far back under a street light. Now that I think about it, I don't really think I ever imagined her to drive something like it. She waited for me to get in, watching over me as I strapped in.

"Where are we going?" I asked, trying not to sound like I was nervous.

"I don't imagine you've seen any of the greatest views this place has to offer, have you?" She laughed and slowly began to drive out, rolling down both of our windows as the wind of a drifting summer was running wildly away.

The type of wind that feels cooler by the day—letting you know that fall is approaching.

I smiled occasionally at her as she took me down unfamiliar, unmarked roads. My skin shed its fear as the night got darker by the minute.

The scent of the air was getting earthier the further we got. I also noticed we were heading in a slight elevation. I didn't ask how much longer it would take, and instead listened to the quiet rustling folk that played from her stereo.

Suddenly, we came to a stop in the middle of a trail with no markings.

"Uh, is this it?" I questioned, as it didn't look as scenic. Really, it just looked like the deep woods.

"The truck won't be able to go any further, it gets pretty narrow. We can just walk—it's not far away." A reassuring look came from her part as she began to climb out.

I believe she sensed my uneasiness, so she hesitated on turning the headlights off before ultimately deciding not to.

She walked much more confidently than I did, like she knew exactly where to to place her feet. My walk was untrusting; I was scared of slipping on unknown terrain. So I fell a few feet behind her, but she was still in my field of vision enough for me not to feel afraid.

Liz finally came to a stop and I managed to catch up.

We stood at some type of cliff that ran opposite of the massive lake. I could see the the Pub and its many twinkling lights from where I was standing.

The moon took a reflection on the water so bright that it was a spinning image of the sky itself. That very sky projected on the tops of pines and outlined everything.

I spotted a few owls in flight, even. I had never seen something so magically enchanting. Above all, it made me feel like a god watching from above.

"What do you think?" I could sense in her voice that she was eager to ask.

"It's beautiful." I was truly speechless. "How do you know about this place? Declan's never brought me here."

"Kids these days don't know about its existence. I used to come here every night, so many years ago." She took a seat on the big, flat rock on the cliff that we stood on. I followed along.

"So, you're from here?" I asked as I crouched down, desperate to know more about her.

"I was born in New York City. Raised here." She pulled a small vape from her jacket pocket and sent a cloud out into the air.