Necklace

Cam sat criss cross in the middle of Daniel's bed, watching him quickly shove a change of clothes and other items into a backpack.

"When do you think you will be back?" She asked him. Her fingers traced the rich patterns on the twisted covers, grazing over a patchwork of silks and tufted quilts. His room was very comfortable, with the wash of fiery reds and blazing oranges and soothing blues that filled the room. She admired the carved posts of his bed, a deep mahogany.

"I know time is short right now. We can't risk another breach if we can prevent it, and hopefully the vampire can help with that." Daniel slung his bag over one shoulder. His hair was wavy in places from where it had dried from the shower up in the bun he had it in, dark twists that tickled his shoulders. Cam wanted to run her hands through it.

The bed dipped some as he perched at the edge of the bed, "I will be back as soon as I can, ideally tomorrow. I promise. Are you excited for your new job?" He smiled as her and lay a hand on hers.

Cam shook her head, "I forgot about that, about my first shift tomorrow."

"You're gonna do great. Griffin or Naomi can drop you off I'm sure since your car is at your house."

Cameron undid the clasp on her necklace, and placed it into his hand, closing his fingers around it. "This will really work? Aiden mentioned the vampires are cursed? What does that mean?"

"Witches were the original worshippers and creation of the goddess. As the story goes, one witch from one of the original bloodlines cast a spell. Some say she wanted to make her children stronger and her enemies weaker, or that a big war between humans and witches broke out and warranted the armies. But they, through a blessing bestowed by the goddess, created the race of werewolves as we know today. They were their warriors. The story is really lost to time, but their enemies were supposedly cursed as nightcrawlers. They were stronger than humans yes, but cursed to never withstand the sun, to never again enjoy the taste of food and instead rely upon blood. Any blessed, pure metal will injure or kill a vampire."

"Okay." She agreed. Things were different between them now, were they dating? A couple? Hooking up? Should she tell him to be safe?

Daniel bent down to her, kissing her softly.

Cameron sighed when he pulled away, but she didn't say a word.

Daniel hesitated in the doorway on the way out, "I'll see you tomorrow." And then he was gone.

Cameron couldn't help but feel awkward in his room, she stretched out into the bed. Should she be here if he wasn't?

Fuck it. Cameron stripped off her clothes and slid under the covers, inhaling his cologne and drifting off.

———————————————————

Naomi

She watched him turn his back to the counter so he rested against it, his arms crossed as the kettle heated. Even though he was clearly upset, his posture tense and erect, he was still taking time to make Naomi tea before bed.

"Are you upset with me?" She asked him plainly. She crossed her legs sitting as the little kitchen table in their apartment, the chair pulled out some.

He exhaled slowly, as if to calm himself. "I was upset that you did not tell me first about Kai, or immediately. But no, I am not upset with you Naomi."

She felt somewhat relieved, her wolf did not sense a lie there. "How do you feel about having a meeting with Kai?"

"I see that it is necessary. Do I believe he has reliable or useful information? No. But we don't have much of a choice right now."